Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fed Ex at Tunnel 2

Date: 09/23/22 21:44
Fed Ex at Tunnel 2
Author: spsniper

The marketing department might like this one!  

Date: 09/23/22 22:01
Re: Fed Ex at Tunnel 2
Author: Lark

Nice.

Date: 09/23/22 23:27
Author: mapboy

Yep, just gotta change the green Ex to red.

mapboy

Date: 09/24/22 08:50
Author: BRAtkinson

Fedex red is for Fedex Express.  Fedex green is for Fedex ground.  They aren't 'united services' like UPS or USPS.  Each is a diverent division/'company' and other than shippers putting packages into the wrong truck or wrong drop off box, the two have no relationship with each other.

I spent a bit less than a year as a Fedex Ground/Home Delivery owner/operator driver and then almost 3 years at the Fedex Ground New England hub in Willington, CT loading/unloading trailers, sorting packages, and in 'damaged package repair'(AKA quality assurance).  While in the latter, during the 7-8 hours/night I was in there, we'd get a couple of Fedex Express packages coming down the belt.  We'd place them in a rack for Fedex Express to pick up.  We got UPS and USPS packages as well and they got the same treatment.  Needless to say, the overnight for those Fedex Express packages didn't happen as they'd be picked up in sometime the next afternoon, or so I was told.  I left Fedex Ground after I landed the CSX Intermodal job in 2008.

Date: 09/24/22 10:10
Author: dan

they talked about getting rid of the green, not sure if they did,  UPS freight is now t force or something

Date: 09/24/22 11:43
Author: wyeth

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they talked about getting rid of the green, not
> sure if they did,  UPS freight is now t force or
> something

FedEx Ground now uses the same red colors as the Express unit - the green is getting phased out (I liked it).

You're correct, UPS Freight was sold, now called T-Force Freight.

Date: 09/24/22 13:26
Author: dan

I liked the green, thought i saw a train bunch of new trailers with the green,.   didn't know t force is a new entity, i thought it was just rebranding, someone said the drivers were not happy.

Date: 09/25/22 00:32
Author: Bandito

wyeth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > they talked about getting rid of the green, not
> > sure if they did,  UPS freight is now t force
> or
> > something
>
> FedEx Ground now uses the same red colors as the
> Express unit - the green is getting phased out (I
> liked it).
>
> You're correct, UPS Freight was sold, now called
> T-Force Freight.

Hang on. TForce Freight, formerly UPS Freight, formerly Overnight (which UP owned for a while) was and is strictly an LTL operation, no? And I believe that both Fedex Express and Fedex Ground are strictly or primarily package operations (Fedex's LTL operations being handled by Fedex Freight).

Question: Do either Fedex Express or Ground ever handle any kind of palletized cargo, or is it all loose packages? And wasn't Fedex Express the Air Freight operation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/22 00:37 by Bandito.

Date: 09/25/22 05:09
Author: BRAtkinson

Bandito Wrote:
> Question: Do either Fedex Express or Ground ever
> handle any kind of palletized cargo, or is it all
> loose packages? And wasn't Fedex Express the Air
> Freight operation?

Not possible, unless they've reconfigured all their terminals, etc.  There's no provision for pallets at their terminals or, more importantly, in their delivery trucks as well as trailers.  In the delivery trucks, there's 2 or 3 shelves along each side wall leaving about 4' for an aisle.  A pallet would completely block that aisle.  In the trailers, at least Fedex Ground, there is usually a set of floor rollers in the 30' trailers that lead directly to the back where it meets the conveyor belt to the scanning machine.  There's also a false floor over the 'belly' that has lift up vinyl covered plywood doors that definitely could not hold the weight of a forklift.  The 53' trailers are 'standard' floors, etc.  However, at selected unloading doors in the terminal or hub, there's an extendable, always moving conveyor belt that can be extended about 40 feet into the trailer that leads directly to the main conveyor belt.  In the terminals, there's no open area large enough for a forklift at the trailer doors as there are 3 different conveyor belts at each door.  The primary belt for most packages, the 'smalls' belt for packages less than about 6x6x6 or plastic bags and small boxes (themselves, in clear 40 gallon bags, that must be emptied before being put on the smalls belt), and the 'incompatible' (manual sort) belt for large, unusual shape, and hazmat items. 

Fedex Express, founded as Federal Express, was started by an entrepaneur in Memphis TN with the idea of flying important papers and the like between customers in major cities.  They never handled freight larger than smallish boxes smaller than about 12x12x12.  Given that their overnight delivery rates from, say, New York to Chicago, are based on size and weight making anything big or over 4-5 pounds impractical to ship due to costs.  Here's a link to their history:
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/about/history.html

Date: 09/26/22 12:01
Author: atsf121

Nice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds