Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Streetcars of San Francisco c1972 part 2

Date: 10/01/22 06:28
Streetcars of San Francisco c1972 part 2
Author: KCRW287

This post goes with a posting I did last week about some streetcars of San Francisci, from about 1972. I have no idea where in SF this was taken, does show a tunnel?, and street running with busses and rubber tired trolleys. Photographer unknown, my collection. KCRW287

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/01/22 07:48
Re: Streetcars of San Francisco c1972 part 2
Author: photobob

The tunnel is the Twin Peaks Tunnel, The last scene was the end of the M Line on Ocean Ave. There was even a scene showing my Elementary School and Jr High on Seventeenth St,

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/01/22 09:03
Author: Ritzville

Nice look back at the SF Muni in good days.

Larry

Date: 10/01/22 12:01
Author: HT6

The middle views of streetcars and buses were taken on downtown Market St and leading up to Duboce Ave.  Shown towards the end is the west portal of Twin Peaks tunnel and cars on West Portal Ave.  The very last view is the former end of the K line at the now gone loop near Ocean Ave and Phelan.  Earlier in the video are views at 17th & Church Sts. and on the J line private right-of-way between 18th and 19th Sts paralleling Church St.

Date: 10/01/22 15:47
Author: atsf121

There's also a brief clip of the Central Freeway around the 3:20 mark, it's the double-deck concrete structure over Market St.  Central Freeway was torn out after the '89 quake.

Nathan

Date: 10/01/22 19:32
Author: coach

In that last scene on the loop, you can see numerous streetcars in the background.  Is this the location of the current Balboa Park shops / BART station??  This all seems to be before BART was built, if that's the case.  There was enough room there for a loop, but I can't quite place the scene / location with any known landmarks.

Date: 10/01/22 20:39
Author: HT6

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In that last scene on the loop, you can see
> numerous streetcars in the background.  Is this
> the location of the current Balboa Park shops /
> BART station??  This all seems to be before BART
> was built, if that's the case.  There was enough
> room there for a loop, but I can't quite place the
> scene / location with any known landmarks.

The streetcar you see in the background is pulling into the loop and after leaving the stop will be on the rest of the turnaround as shown by the car in the foreground.  The trackless trolley in the background is at the end of the 12 line and has its own turnaround.  The location is at the top of the hill on Ocean Ave at Frida Kahlo Way (formerly Phelan Ave).  The loop is no longer there, replaced by a fire house and other structures.  The Muni shops and BART station are about a half mile from here, eastward down Ocean Ave.

Date: 10/02/22 14:15
Author: shipsbell

My grandfather worked at Kress in downtown all during the 30's through the 60's. I also saw the B of A computer
building at South Van Ness at Market. My dad worked there and purchased my first bike at the Goodyear store
across the street. Long gone.
I also love the green livery but HATED the orange they changed to. Again Market street is torn up for BART.
Thanks Patrick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/22 14:17 by shipsbell.

Date: 10/02/22 17:13
Author: MacBeau

Thank you for the great look back.
—Mac

Date: 10/02/22 17:57
Author: OldPorter

Thanks Jim- great look back. Interesting how speedy the Rail transit cars are, and how clean San Francisco was back then.

Date: 10/02/22 21:17
Author: KCRW287

Thanks for all the input and stories to go along with this film. KCRW287

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds