Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A mostly UP-ish Saturday morning

Date: 11/23/22 21:54
A mostly UP-ish Saturday morning
Author: oyw

Making my usual run up to Cajon (and later San Timoteo) last Saturday AM (Nov 19), I photographed just a few trains of which the majority were Union Pacific.

1) The morning began on the BNSF at Blue Cut with the UP West Colton to North Platte manifest, led by tattered GE 5783.

2) Following close behind was UP 8776 on a coal empty passing through Alray on Main 1.

Date: 11/23/22 21:56
Re: A mostly UP-ish Saturday morning

3) The only BNSF train I shot all day was 8262 descending Main 3 near Gish with mostly single level containers and trailers.

4) I followed BNSF 8262 down for an in-your-face shot at the Swarthout Road crossing near Blue Cut.

Date: 11/23/22 21:59

I followed the tracks down to Colton, it was very quiet on the BNSF so I turned west on I-10 to head for home. Passing Pepper Ave on the freeway, I noticed the cars of an eastbound UP manifest but wasn’t able to see the head end. Most of the time I would have kept going, but something in my gut made me turn around. Good thing because it was one of the recent UP repaints, SD70ACe 8518 with no wings and the small flag on the cab side and was just starting to move. I heard over the radio it was an “extra Fort Worth” so I headed for San Timoteo Canyon. It was a huge train with 3 X 2 X 1 for power and never exceeded more than 15 mph.

5) Here is the train grinding past the Eastside Ranch Road crossing near El Casco at 10:30AM. 

6) A nose-on attempt to show the larger UP herald.

7) One last shot with Fisherman’s Retreat in the background and then I decided to head for home…again.

This was the first of these “new paints” I’ve seen so it pretty much made the day for me, I was glad I turned around.

As usual my post is a bit late but, as always thanks for looking and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

OYW

Date: 11/24/22 00:03
Author: weather

Excelllent images!

Date: 11/24/22 05:45
Author: Atsf814

Great shots Bob!  Have a blessed Thanksgiving day! 

Date: 11/24/22 07:02
Author: bobk

Great series!

Date: 11/24/22 07:17
Author: MacBeau

Happy Thanksgiving Bob, and a nice catch on the new paint.
—Mac

Date: 11/24/22 07:34
Author: texchief1

Great shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 11/24/22 10:17
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding as always. Happy Thanksgiving.
JB

Date: 11/24/22 11:14
Author: jgilmore

Excellent bunch, looks you were blessed with some nice leaders!

JG

Date: 11/24/22 11:21
Author: PasadenaSub

Great group of photos as usual, Bob.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well.

Rich

Date: 11/24/22 11:34
Author: SCKP187

Nice catches. Always good when you can get a new paint unit and especially the company’s new image
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/24/22 17:22
Author: TheNavigator

Real nice group; good to finally see some snow on the mountains for a change.
GK

Date: 11/26/22 13:04
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds