Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Four from a northern wander to Alaska

Date: 11/29/22 22:32
Four from a northern wander to Alaska
Author: CimaScrambler

I got on a plane the other day that took me to Anchorage, Alaska, where I had the chance to get a few photos from way out of my usual stomping grounds.  Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any action shots due to the short late-November days.  But here is what I did manage to get during my short stay.

1)  GP40-2 #3012 in the yard in Anchorage on a cloudy morning
2)  A small tank engine stuffed and mounted across the street from the passenger station

(two more coming)

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 11/29/22 22:37
Re: Four from a northern wander to Alaska

3) The rotary snowplow at Potter along the line to Whittier and Seward.
4) Twin SD70MAC #s 4005 and 4006 in the yard in Anchorage on a sunny afternoon - what looks like sunset light is actually just before 3PM!  But this is Anchorage within a month of Winter Solstice.

There you go, my entire bag of captures.  The temperature got up to about 5 degrees today, and I count myself lucky that my camera didn't freeze up.
Be safe out there -

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 11/29/22 22:48
Author: PHall

Well if you think Anchorage is cold I suggest you don't go up to Fairbanks then. It get's really cold up there!

Date: 11/29/22 23:02
Author: mapboy

Kit, where is the Lunar Light?  Too cold for me, I wouldn't be outside long after dark.

mapboy

Date: 11/29/22 23:15

Well, Mapboy, it is only crescent moon phase, but here are a few from last night at the Anchorage Botanical Garden's Christmas display!
(All Canon 6D, hand held at ISO 5000)
- k

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/22 23:16 by CimaScrambler.

Date: 11/30/22 18:06
Author: D-Althaus

If I understand correctly, I think that small tank engine out-front was used during the digging of the Panama Canal. I think that's what the memorial plaque said.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds