Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Truckee

Date: 01/19/23 21:04
Truckee
Author: BlaineM

Anyone know why an East bound is stopped just short of bridge street?  Gates down dozens of cars making u turns.  Been that way well over an hour.  Can't engineers raise the gates from the cab?
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 01/19/23 21:09
Re: Truckee
Author: traindave

someone down near the amtrak station seem to drive on to the tracks n get out then that manifest train that can bee seen on cam hit the car 

Date: 01/19/23 21:28

Thanks traindave.  I hadn't seen any police activity that appeared I guess before I started watching.  Do I understand the gates can be activated from the loco cab?
It' 10:30 guess I'll go to bed.
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 01/19/23 22:15
Author: inyosub

Thanks TrainDave I have been watching it too. Now I know what's going on.
that sounds like the same thing that person did on Ashland the other night. Hope it's not a trend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/23 22:16 by inyosub.

Date: 01/19/23 22:29
Author: boltmansacto

Hearing something about a broken rail that has been barred together. Currently walking that manifest train EB through the crossing.

Date: 01/20/23 03:21
Author: trainjunkie

BlaineM Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> Can't engineers raise the gates from the cab?

No. 

Date: 01/20/23 06:29
Author: atsf121

BlaineM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't engineers raise the gates from the
> cab?
> Blaine
> American Fork

I've never heard of that option.  I've heard of remote activation (think it was light rail) and then the gates would go down and the detection circuit would wait until nothing was detected to lift the gates.  But it wasn't a remote clearing, the detection circuit had to do it.  I know crossing circuits have a timeout so that if the train activates the gates but then stops short, the gates go back up.  But I think that implies there's a core detection area around the crossing that you have to stay out of for that to work.  I saw someone mentioned a broken rail, if that was in the right spot, would that activate the crossing gates?  And if it was in the core section around the crossing, would that prevent the timeout?

Nathan

Date: 01/20/23 07:35

Thank you, Nathan I guess that old sayng you can't trane an old dog new tricks is not true.  I'm 90 and learn some thing new.  I have watched Amtrak and the flanger stop prior to Bridge street stop then the gates go up so I didn't know.
Blaine
American For

Date: 01/20/23 16:57
Author: funnelfan

For the most part crews have no control over crossing gates. There are some crossing gates and/or lights that can be activated with a switch key, usually a keyhole on the electrical bungalow associated with the crossing.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds