Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Flint Hills DT report 02-04

Date: 02/07/23 08:36
Flint Hills DT report 02-04
Author: santafe199

It’s been a while since I posted my latest “Flint Hills” DT report. But that title is kind of misleading. The project is almost finished in the actual Flint Hills area. The last stretch between Bazaar & Matfield Green, KS is slated for completion this summer. To keep to the reports going I’ll have to travel much further down the Emporia Sub as the remainder of the project moves forward. This particular report from west of Augusta comes courtesy of my attending a big Model RR Swap Meet in Wichita. But the whole time I planned to sneak away from the meet with quite a bit of shootable daylight left. The first 5 images below were gathered on my way down to Wichita. As usual, the captions will get us started. It’s sunrise in the middle of Chase County, KS>>v

1. At 7:31 AM we’re looking TT west through the new ‘Flint’ crossover plant. Note the red-over-green signal aspect. A westbound train will cross from Main #1 to the single main and run up the hill to Matfield Green. So I got back on ‘T Rd’ to head for the other end of the plant...... WHOA! What was that?

2. Something in the very corner of my eye caught my attention. I saw a red light where there shouldn’t be any red light(s). Well, whuddya know!? First time I EVER saw brand new signal(s) still turned to field, but already lit up.

3. Now looking TT east back through Flint: Here comes BNSF 4455 west, about to make the crossover move indicted in image #1. The new Main #1 track is down, but still needs complete surfacing treatment.
Photos 1-3 taken at Flint, KS.

Date: 02/07/23 08:39
Re: Flint Hills DT report 02-04

Not wanting to waste a lot of time I boogied on down to Matfield Green for some update shots from atop Theater Hill...

4. As foretold, the grading is at or near completion in this view looking TT east at the “backside” of the Theater. Some of the old trackside foliage has been removed which opens up a few more photo angles.

5. Moving a few yards the other way here’s a look TT west at the S-curve money shot. The new 2nd bridge over 78th Rd has been completed, and grading is getting really close to being finished. Lots of activity down here. It’s 7:55 AM...
Photos 4-5 taken at Matfield Green, KS.

Date: 02/07/23 08:44

Moving on down K-177 I stopped here & there, but the DT project is pretty much complete from East Matfield all the way over the backbone of the Flint Hills to West Chelsea. I caught a westbound train from the Myers Rd overpass at El Dorado Lake, then got on the KS Turnpike for the final jog into Wichita.

At the meet there were many tables full of neat Model RR “stuff”. My sales resistance was high, because I’ve been out of that end of the hobby since 1978. But I was happy to see a few old fellow train service pals plus one former Train DS. The conversation was flowing with stories & anecdotes, some of which might even have been true... ;^)

6. Leaving the Swap Meet around 2:30 PM I went straight south (TT west) to Mulvane so I could start tracing country road crossings toward the east along BNSF’s Emporia Sub. This is the view looking TT east from ‘S 143rd St E’. Spotting a headlight I went back to take the shot(s) from...

7. & 8. ...the ‘E 87th St S’ crossing just behind 143rd St. NS 4596 does the honor on this stacker with a very friendly hogger, by the way!

Date: 02/07/23 08:46

9. I hung around at 143rd St and picked up another westbound train. BNSF 3906 rolls by some raw grading with a pricy-looking piece of equipment off to the side. This double crossing (sorta) is right at halfway between Rose Hill & East Jct Mulvane. But I’m using Rose Hill, KS as the location for photos 6-9.

10. & 11. This is still Rose Hill, KS as seen from the SW 190th St (county line) crossing. BNSF 8197 is westbound with more stacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/23 09:02 by santafe199.

Date: 02/07/23 08:47

12. I went into Rose Hill proper, but couldn’t get east of town before the next westbound appeared. Here is BNSF 7508 on another stacker at the E Silknitter Rd crossing in Rose Hill, KS.

13. Now looking TT east from the E Rosewood St crossing northeast of Rose Hill. BNSF 4310 is on the way with a manifest.

Date: 02/07/23 08:50

I was able to move further up the Emporia Sub toward Salter, KS even though the rush of trains was still flowing forth...

14. & 15. With the Golden Hour fast approaching we’re now looking TT east from the Indianola Rd crossing west of Salter, here comes BNSF 8563 on a unit grainer.

Date: 02/07/23 08:53

16. & 17. Slipping Into Darkness* (the Violet Hour) here’s a view of the current west siding switch at Salter, KS taken from the Tawakoni Rd crossing. This pair of images is a kind of “redux” from this thread: ( I sure could use... WAIT a sec! (trainorders.com) ). The perfectly positioned, rising full moon was a delight!

Date: 02/07/23 08:55

Just one more?? Of course...

18. It’s 5:59 PM and the Blue Hour now rules! Looking east from Santa Fe Lake Rd this is the new cantilever signal at the current east siding switch at Salter, KS. I’m starting to think about the 2+ hour drive home right in front of me. But surely there is some fast food dining to be had somewhere before I head home! (There was... ;^)
18 photos taken February 4, 2023.

Thanks for riding along!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*Slipping Into Darkness was a big hit for War, a Latin/funk band from L. A. The tune broke onto the Billboard Top-40 chart in April of 1972 and peaked at #16 during its 10 week ride on the chart... DJ Sir L

Date: 02/07/23 09:17
Author: SP8595

Nice NS leader!

Date: 02/07/23 09:18
Author: King_Coal

Good review of progress. A new look for some well known locations. Trust it wasn't as muddy down there as it was in Iowa and Nebraska. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 02/07/23 09:28
Author: switchlock

Great coverage!  This makes me wish I was more familiar with the area.  How far out from Emporia is Flint?

Date: 02/07/23 09:33
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for another interesting DT report with very enjoyable pictures and narrative.

Larry

Date: 02/07/23 09:38
Author: monaddave

santafe199 Wrote:
<< “Flint Hills” DT report. But that title is kind of misleading. The project is almost finished in the actual Flint Hills area<<

Aye, the Augusta-Mulvane stretch is eeking into the Wellington-McPherson and Arkansas River Lowlands... https://www.kgs.ku.edu/Physio/physio.html    A different sort of scenic Kansas. T'aint flat here either, Dorothy.
Dave in MT

Date: 02/07/23 09:39

switchlock Wrote: > ... How far out from Emporia is Flint?

A little over 20 miles. Flint is for all purposes the old east siding switch area at Bazar. In image #3 you see 3 tracks reducing to 2 as you look east. The old Bazar siding is being retained, and this is the east end of it. It has been shortened up by a few hundred yards on the west end...

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/23 09:40 by santafe199.

Date: 02/07/23 10:13
Author: stevef

Lance, thanks again for a great detailed report. I appreciate all of the information along with some really great shots.
Thanks for taking the time to show all of it to us.

Date: 02/07/23 12:03
Author: UP951West

Lance, I tip my hat to you with this excellent report !  --Kelly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/23 12:03 by UP951West.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0944 seconds