Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Late SW Chief @ Scranton

Date: 03/17/23 18:55
Late SW Chief @ Scranton
Author: santafe199

Just a preliminary report. I’ll have more images tomorrow. Too much B-Ball to catch up with right now...

1. AMTK 176 leads the 816 & heritage unit 161 at the point of a very late train #4, the “Southwest Chief”. Looking west from the Brownie St crossing in Scranton, KS on March 17, 2023.

(Thanks for lunch, Jim! :^)
Lance Garrels
santafe199

NO rodney, NO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/23 12:45 by santafe199.

Date: 03/17/23 19:29
Re: Late SW Chief @ Scranton
Author: Gonut1

Lance,
B Ball? I'm guessing baseball? I knew you were a Kansas football addict and played some B Ball. Oooops... Well, never mind, I just remembered in my fuzzy non-sports oriented mind, it was your Chiefs that whooped my "like-it-or-not" home team (actually could care less, Phillies). Yawn from here. I did get new tires and had them mounted on my race car for next weeks debut. But I may not debut as the wife needs transportation support as she is recovering from a hip replacement. Such it is as you get older and the kids move further away! Back to railroads...
Great photo, Amtrak is seldom caught in a truely photogenic historical/agricultural location! Often seen in Fields of Corn or Wheat or Gold (David Bowie, if this feeble mind remembers correctly? Sir DJ L) but the setting you selected was perfect!
​Gonut

Date: 03/17/23 19:34
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

I knew it couldn't be Scranton, Penna but I had to be sure.

Date: 03/17/23 19:47
Author: LocoPilot750

Years ago, my uncle ordered a car load of fertilizer to be delivered to Scranton, KS for unloading. Months later it was still missing, located it on a rip track in Scranton, PA.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/17/23 20:27
Author: Gonut1

Scranton wherever, its all good right? Sounds like the original Penn Central dilemma where the freight agents didn't know where to send cars due to unfamiliarity with each others territories.
Arghh!
Go

Date: 03/17/23 21:31

Gonut1 RAMBLED: > ... BBallI'mguessingbaseballIknewyouwereaKansasfootballaddictandplayedsomeBBallOooops... WellnevermindIjustrememberedinmy
fuzzynonsportsorientedminditwasyourChiefsthatwhoopedmy"like-it-or-not"hometeam(actuallycouldcarelessPhillies)YawnfromhereIdidgetnewtiresandhadthem
mountedonmyracecarfornextweeksdebutButImaynotdebutasthewifeneedstransportationsupportassheisrecoveringfromahipreplacementSuchitisasyougetolder
andthekidsmovefurtheraway!Backtorailroads...Great photoAmtrakisseldomcaughtinatruelyphotogenichistorical/agriculturallocation!OftenseeninFieldsofCornor
WheatorGold(DavidBowie)ifthisfeeblemindrememberscorrectly?SirDJLbutthesettingyouselectedwasperfect! 
 Gonut

Whuh chew bin smokin, son??? (mind if I try summa yer good $#!+???)

Date: 03/18/23 04:54
Author: AndyBrown

Excellent photo, sharp, clear, well exposed and nice to catch the heritage unit even if buried!

Andy

Date: 03/18/23 05:23
Author: sfn2633

Lance,

Somehow I missed you and mp51w.  I was supposed to be on No. 4 to Naperville, but canceled since it was so late and I was going to miss my Friday evening activities at the O Scale meet.  So I decided to visit the derail site and find No. 4.  Then I spent time cleaning the Kansas mud off the Jeep I was driving.  It was a very unusual day with the Chief's stuck on either side of Topeka.

Jeff N
Olathe

Date: 03/18/23 11:42
Author: mp51w

sfn2633 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance,
>
> Somehow I missed you and mp51w.  I was supposed
> to be on No. 4 to Naperville, but canceled since
> it was so late and I was going to miss my Friday
> evening activities at the O Scale meet.  So I
> decided to visit the derail site and find No. 4.
>  Then I spent time cleaning the Kansas mud off
> the Jeep I was driving.  It was a very unusual
> day with the Chief's stuck on either side of
> Topeka.
>
> Jeff N
> Olathe
I did two rounds with the high pressure wand at the local car wash in Scranton!
I know if you let that gravel/clay mix dry in your wheel hubs, you almost need a pick axe to remove it!
Rare to be able to chase two passenger trains in daylight on the Topeka sub!
I spend all week working with the darn train, and then I spend my day off chasing it too!  Crazy!
Well worth the time though, and an honor to have lunch with one of TO's greats!
Now!  Back to Bball!

Date: 03/18/23 12:32
Author: Contax645

A great view Lance!

Gary R. Clark
Griffith, Indiana

Date: 03/18/23 13:48
Author: texchief1

That is one nice shot!  Keep them coming, Lance!

Randy
texchief1

Date: 03/18/23 18:00
Author: DTrainshooter

Buh bye Jayhawks...

Date: 03/18/23 18:14

DTrainshooter Wrote: > ... bye Jayhawks ...

YUP. But my guys are still in it...

Date: 03/19/23 11:17
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds