Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A foggy rainy night - 3M plant - Wausau, WI

Date: 03/18/23 06:26
A foggy rainy night - 3M plant - Wausau, WI
Author: robj

3/16/2023 -Wausau, WI - ,will take me a while to go through other images so thought I'd throw this one out

On a foggy, railny night, Temperatures started near 40 and ended up at 21 in the morning.
Fox Valley and Lake Superior switch 3-M plant west of Wisconsin River.

Didn't go to Wausau earlier so trying to piece together history.   This is off former C & NW line that ran from Antigo?
Milwaukee Valley line east of river  went to SOO, then Wisconsin Central, CN.  However C &NW and then Union Pacific held on to this segment into WC years or (later?).

There is another segment on the west side of the River, not sure if it was originally C &NW.

I have to dig out old Milwaukee Historical  magazine to find out more details or maybe some one knows more details.

Bob Jordan

Date: 03/18/23 07:03
Re: A foggy rainy night - 3M plant - Wausau, WI
Author: Rule99

Beautiful night scene on the railroad. 👍
Reminds me of many nights, a few working, more as a fan. 

Date: 03/18/23 07:25
Author: robj

Rule99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful night scene on the railroad. 👍
> Reminds me of many nights, a few working, more as
> a fan. 
>  

Me also. Transfer jobs around Chicago at night, sometimes you could see skyline other time just fog peering into darkness. Slower speed, always wondered about road jobs in the fog.

Bob

Posted from Android

Date: 03/18/23 08:01
Author: SP8595

Neat scene!

Date: 03/18/23 09:24
Author: Ritzville

Very cool scene!!

Larry

Date: 03/18/23 09:26
Author: DSPR3

This segment of former C&NW was on the line between Green Bay and Merrillan (Wisconsin).  At Merrillan, it connected with the Chicago-Twin Cities main. 

Track on the west side of the Wisconsin River was CNW owned and maintained.  The Milwaukee Road (later Soo Line, then WC) and CNW jointly served one customer on Wausau's west side (American Can, James River, Georgia Pacific, now Graphic Packaging are some of the names over the years). 

The Wausau to Merrillan part was abandoned in the early 1980s.  Service between Wausau and Green Bay ended in 1993.  Most of the Wausau to Green Bay line was removed after that.  It's the Mountain-Bay Trail today.

Union Pacific operated the leftover isolated segment of track after the UP/CNW merger until the Wisconsin Central acquired it.  WC made numerous improvements in Wausau prior to the CN purchase.  CN operated the line until the sale to FOXY. 

> Didn't go to Wausau earlier so trying to piece
> together history.   This is off former C & NW
> line that ran from Antigo?
> Milwaukee Valley line east of river  went to SOO,
> then Wisconsin Central, CN.  However C &NW and
> then Union Pacific held on to this segment into WC
> years or (later?).
>
> There is another segment on the west side of the
> River, not sure if it was originally C &NW.
>

Date: 03/18/23 18:16
Author: bmarti7

Amazing night exposure Bob!

PCBill

Date: 03/19/23 11:22
Author: ns1000

NIICE..!!

Date: 03/20/23 15:45
Author: Rule99

One of the worst nights I ever had. Brakeman, head end...west out of Proviso. After 10 miles in pea soup I told engineer, I could barely keep my eyes open... He laughed.... I slapped my face, yelled out the window, trying to stay awake. 
Not so much from fatigue but staring into tunnel of swirling headlight-fog- nothingness... disorienting... some motion nausea.. made it through...  Fairly heavy snow at night, similar.  Hypnotic. 

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 Slower speed, always
> wondered about road jobs in the fog.
>
> Bob
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/23 17:45
Author: bobk

Great shot!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0748 seconds