Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 4 way meet at Dale Junction

Date: 06/04/23 18:53
4 way meet at Dale Junction
Author: mcdeo

Went railfanning last Sunday and went to see the Hermosa Tunnels. I have never been there and while visiting Laramie, had a few hours to see if I could find any action. Well, stumbled upon a 4 way meet at Dale Junction.

First train was a west bound with 5+0 configuration.

Then an eastbound creeped up through the tunnel slowly. Another westbound had already been stopped before the crossovers, clearly both were waiting for something. Sure enough, an intermodal train rolled on through with a 4+3+0 configuration.

After the intermodal passed, I heard another westbound horn in the distance and they sent that out before either of the other two stopped trains, running in a 4+0 setup.

Eventually, the 2nd eastbound started just in time for the rain to pour down. That auto rack train had a 2+2+0 locomotive setup. After it passed, I went to the other side of the tunnels to watch the westbound with a 2+1+0 configuration.

The sun was back out and after that train passed, I was about to head out, but then I thought I heard something in the distance. Sure enough, another westbound train came through. It was set up in a 3+1+1 configuration.

Thus, lots of action in a short time. Not a foreign locomotive in sight, all UP armor yellow and grey. I ended up seeing six trains in less than 2 hours. I think I lucked out for sure.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/04/23 18:57
Re: 4 way meet at Dale Junction

Next video. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 06/04/23 18:59

The rain came and went, usually only several minutes at time, but this short down pour was too much to film from the outside. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 06/04/23 19:04

This is the west side of the tunnels. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 06/04/23 19:23

Last video of the series. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 06/04/23 20:29
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice videos! I haven't been up there for years because I thought it was all closed off by the ranchers.... 

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 06/05/23 07:32

I got off of 287 at Tie Siding. It is a dirt road. Followed it to the crossing, turned right, went along the tracks until I got to Dale Junction past the tunnels. I tried to get from Dale Junction to any other road but couldn't. Since I didn't have a lot of time, I didn't go back to 287, to then take Dale Creek Road. Which looks further from the tracks, but could get to I-80 and other near track photo locations. 

As I was leaving, I passed another railfan heading to the tunnels along the same route I took. Anyone in 'civilian' vehicles I consider a railfan. Not a utility vehicle, not any kind of work vehicle, and there were two people in the car. Looked like a husband/wife couple. My wife had stayed in town with my daughter running errands. She doesn't like it when I go 'off roading'. Even though the dirt roads are very well groomed and I don't stray from them. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 06/05/23 09:45
Author: WAF

mojaveflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice videos! I haven't been up there for years
> because I thought it was all closed off by the
> ranchers.... 
MOW road. Someone could come behind you and lock the gate

Date: 06/06/23 11:16
Author: cinder

The land above the tunnels is owned by a local ranch family.  Below is a three-way meet at Dale Jct. taken in in May 2009.

Three UP freights vie for track space at Dale Jct, WY at 11am on a Sunday morning in May 2009. There had already been 10 or so trains in three hours with beautiful morning light and I was lamenting the absence of even a simple "double". It was then that UP sent me trains from all directions. The westbound stack train is coming up the single track from Cheyenne on the left and has been given priority over the other westbound stacker in the middle(stopped). The eastbound manifest on the far right track has come up the grade from Laramie. The actual Sherman Hill summit is a couple of miles behind me on the double track.

Date: 06/06/23 11:24

Yes, access to Dale Jct. and the Hermosa Tunnels is severe;y restricted.

Date: 06/06/23 11:26

Need I say more.

Date: 06/06/23 20:54

I didn't pass any of those. I was on Tie Siding and then along the UP write of way. Which may not be allowed. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1118 seconds