Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains or Work?

Date: 06/05/23 10:00
Trains or Work?
Author: atsf121

I'm slowly getting caught up on pictures and videos from last month, it was quite busy between mutliple business trips and a family trip.  One of the few weeks I was home, I had to take my son to work because I needed to drop the car off for some maintenance.  I decided to take the longer way home that takes me past the American Fork siding on the ex-DRGW UP mainline between Provo and Salt Lake.  On the normal route, we cross the tracks but you can't see any signals.  Going this longer way lets me see the tracks a little longer and I can see the signals on the west end of AF siding.  The signal was lit, flashing yellow, which meant I wasn't heading straight home to work.  I continued over to a little farm spot in Lehi that has a nice curve to watch trains across the field, and is perfect for morning light.  The first train to show up was an Ogden bound Frontrunner that I had spotted at AF station.  A few minutes later came a loaded UP coal train, 2x1 DPU configuration.  No clue where this one is headed.  The lighting was great and you could see all the snow on the Oquirrh Mountains which usually don't have much snow left in mid-May.  With the flashing yellow, I knew it was most likely going to take the next siding, Mesa, which is next to the Lehi Frontrunner station.  Since there wasn't a need to hurry back for work, I had time to go watch the meet at Mesa siding.  The sun angle wasn't the best, but I wanted to get a shot of the Wasatch Mountains and Mt Timpanogos to show how much snow was still there for mid-May, way more than typical after our 200% plus snow year - over 900" at Alta!  A Provo bound Frontrunner was pulling in as I got setup and it quickly cruised past my spot.  I had to wait a little bit for the next train, but it was worth the wait.  Heavy UP manifest was pulling hard to make the gentel climb up from the Jordan River crossing in the Jordan Narrows, I think this is the MNPWC and it's been a fairly consistent morning train for the past month or so.  After all the excitement, it was time to get home and get back to work.

Nathan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/05/23 10:27
Re: Trains or Work?
Author: MyDyingSoul

Two thumbs up! 👍 👍

Date: 06/05/23 12:12
Author: BlaineM

Thank you Nathan for posting those great photos of my area.  The snow covered Qquirre Mountains is where I spent my youth when my Father was in the sheep business.
My home town was Fairfield but Lehi was my high school.
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 06/05/23 12:40
Author: callum_out

Wonderful video and great sound to do those GEs justice!

Out 

Date: 06/05/23 17:03
Author: stevelv

Nice video Nathan.  My brother and I rode the Frontrunner SLC-Provo-Ogden and back to SLC.  Nice ride.  That last UP manifest reminded me that I still want to fan the Sharp sub someday.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds