Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Z-CHIDEN at Willow Springs

Date: 06/18/24 14:16
BNSF Z-CHIDEN at Willow Springs
Author: Gerrypaul

A friend told me a few months ago that BNSF's westbound Chicago --- Denver Z train is no longer stopping at Willow Springs to do its pickup of UPS containers.  He said he was sure he saw it in its usual time a couple of different days (about 6:30-7pm daily) at WS and it just rolled through on the mains. 

Is this still the case? It seems odd as it looked logical for the Z-CHIDEN to pick up a string of UPS containers on the rear of the train there.  I figure BNSF thinks taking a string from Willow Springs to Corwith is, if anything, a greater concern about theft and containers being broken open. 

Anyone please have any update on this?

---Gerrypaul 

Date: 06/18/24 18:49
Re: BNSF Z-CHIDEN at Willow Springs
Author: Milw_E70

The Denver Zs come out of Cicero now, Z CHCDEN and Z DENCHC

Date: 06/18/24 19:06
Author: Gonut1

I find this funny!
Just read my reply to “CNW Proviso Yard Hump Assignments”. I believe the same answer - applies just substitute “bowl track” for “yard” or train designation. A dearly departed friend used to reply to questions about something different seen on the railroad (any railroad), “Because it’s the railroad”.
I’d say the only consistency is a lack of consistency.
I wouldn’t lose any sleep over any of this. YAWN!
Gonut

Date: 06/18/24 21:36
Author: CubsFanJohn

Milw_E70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Denver Zs come out of Cicero now, Z CHCDEN and
> Z DENCHC

Didn't it run out of Cicero about ten years ago for a summer? I would usually see it on my evening walk when I lived in Downers Grove.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/24 07:52
Author: Gerrypaul

Interesting. I had no idea that the CHIDEN was originating at Clyde Yard. Also, with the proximity to that huge UPS facility at Willow Springs, it seems strange to me: why move it to Cicero? 

Do you please have some basic idea  about when the CHIDEN now departs? I know it used to be daily from Corwith, around 6pm--7pm. Is that still the typical departure time? My guess is that may have changed in some way to take into account METRA train scheduling, but? Maybe not. 

Date: 06/22/24 08:20
Author: commissioner

Gerrypaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting. I had no idea that the CHIDEN was
> originating at Clyde Yard. Also, with the
> proximity to that huge UPS facility at Willow
> Springs, it seems strange to me: why move it to
> Cicero? 
>
> Do you please have some basic idea  about when
> the CHIDEN now departs? I know it used to be daily
> from Corwith, around 6pm--7pm. Is that still the
> typical departure time? My guess is that may have
> changed in some way to take into account METRA
> train scheduling, but? Maybe not. 
>
>  
 The St. Paul, Portland and Seattle Z trains depart from Cicero as well. The trailers get drayed to Cicero from Willow Springs. There's a really good article about Willow Springs in Trains magazine a few years back explaining the reasoning.

Mark Kennebeck
Saint Paul, MN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0611 seconds