Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > May be coming to CA in a couple of weeks..could use hel

Date: 09/30/03 18:35
May be coming to CA in a couple of weeks..could use hel
Author: Pj

As being a resident of SouCal for awhile, I sorta know my way around. But since I haven't been to SouCal since 1998 on vaca, I'm a bit rusty (that's what happens with Connnecticut salt all over the winter roads!).

If all goes well, I will have a week to myself and the Mrs. We will be staying with realitives in the Oxnard/Camarillo area. I would like to hit the loop, but I will take anything SP that I can cover.

Either here on the list or via email, can someone give me directions/recommendations? I'll also love train counts, RR radio channels and anything else you can throw at me. I just found out last min that I should be able to go, so I don't have too much time to plan.

Thanks!
Pj

Date: 09/30/03 21:17
Re: May be coming to CA in a couple of weeks..could use
Author: dggill

The trip from San Buenventura to Tehachapi takes about three hours to four hours depending on whether or not you stop for lunch. From Ventura take Hwy 126 through the Simi Valley to Interstate 5. Take I-5 NB over the Grapevine into the Great Central Valley of California and, at the split take Highway 99 to Bakersfield. At Bakersfield take Highway 58 EB to Tehachapi Pass.

If you have time, order an Altamont Press California Railfan Timetable <www.altamontpress.com> as it will give you all of the details of frequencies, track profiles, etc, for all of the areas you will want to railfan.

Of course, the SP Coast Line hosts several UP freights a day and the commute trains through Oxnard and Ventura.

While in Ventura, check out the China Dynesty Restaurant. It is one of the best Chinese Restaurants in California.

All this from someone who feels the only reason to go to Southern Californis is to get on a curise ship.

Date: 10/01/03 09:07
Couple of thoughts
Author: GP40X

To follow-up on the suggestion from Don Gill on directions to Tehachapi, here are a coupler of options:

1. While traveling up 99, exit at California Street and proceed east through downtown Bakersfield until you merge with Edison Highway. This option will allow you to parallel the tracks out of town toward the Loop. It is a good two lane road that will pass Sandcut and Bena (cattle feed lot). Stay on this road and you will eventually junction at the Bear Mountain Junction with Hwy 58 at Hwy 223. About 1/2 mile before the road passes under Hwy 58, the Caliente-Bodfish road will split left. Traveling this way will take you to the Caliente curve of the tracks where the stiff climb to the summit begins. Turing left at the junction 1/4 mile will take you into Caliente. Turning right, the road will climb to the Bealeville crossing of the tracks. Looking left, you will see where the tracks exit Tunnel 5 at Cliff. Continuing up the road, you will junction at Hwy 58. Turn left uphill toward Tehachapi/Mojave.

2. If you would like to bypass Bakersfield and get there in a hurry, after passing Grapevine, exit at Laval Road and proceed east/north to Hwy 223. Turn right on Bear Mountain Blvd (223) and proceed through the town of Arvin. Continue out of town east, and the road will climb to the junction of Hwy 58. Follow the signs to Tehachapi/Mojave.

Don't forget to stop at the Loop. After exiting at the Keene offramp, follow the road for about 3 miles. When you see Tunnel 9 at the loop, on your left, look for a dirt road on the left with two small oak trees at the mouth. Follow this road to where it crosses the tracks and you will be inside the Loop.

Radio Frequencies for this area are 160.320 for road and 160.890 for PBX. A talking detector can be heard at milepost 347.0 announcing the approach (eastbound) or departure (westbound) of trains. My experience says that train speeds of 20 mph or less are usually approaching.

Hope this helps.

Date: 10/01/03 09:44
More help
Author: skinnytree

In response to GP40X thoughts, you might check out a new book, Train Watching in the Tehachapi Pass. It provides public-access places for train watching, sidings, all the freqs, GPS fixes, motels, history and a lot of train-related activities for the family. It is available in Tehachapi from Trains Etc. at 114 W Tehachapi Blvd. and the Apple Shed Restaurant, 333 Tehachapi Blvd.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0924 seconds