Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Out of order or forgotten???

Date: 07/04/01 17:00
Out of order or forgotten???
Author: charlesn

Out of Order or Forgotten???

Here is a picture of Southern Pacific 2457, taken on June 2, 2001 in Newark CA, this engine is still in the same spot as of June 30. There is already another engine taking care of the yard switching (SP2546). Both engines showed up at close to the same time, could SP2457 be mechanically out of service or just forgotten about?

Charlesn

Date: 07/04/01 17:21
RE: Out of order or forgotten???
Author: martyc

Don't know. Looks an awful lot like the one in the Anaheim yard. Tagged from head to rail. I did not get a chance to stop and check the number of the one in Anaheim.

Date: 07/04/01 17:47
RE: forgotten???
Author: chilli

Probably forgotten about.....

Seriously, looks like the front end handrails are caved in a bit, and I don't see a safety chain between them. Maybe a rough joint?

At any rate, UP better do something before it's completely grafittied!

Date: 07/04/01 18:08
RE: forgotten???
Author: jgmiller

Maybe they are trying to create some urban art?

Seriously though, it probably died and they haven't decided what to do with it. I thought UP was trying to do away with as many of the SP SW1500's as possible and maybe the powers that be haven't figured out where to ship it to. UP trace is showing it at Alvarado, CA.

I've never been to where this picture was taken but I noticed that there appears to be some sort of grate under the rail in front of the engine. Seems weird to have a grate sitting right under a rail like that, wouldn't that thing take a huge pounding or does the track end right past this point? Frankly the grate looks newer than the rails.

Date: 07/04/01 20:46
RE: Out of order or forgotten???
Author: jch9596

It's probably just embarrassed to come out of hiding until someone repaints it.

Date: 07/04/01 22:28
Grate & palm trees
Author: railscenes

If this was the Mid-west I'd say the grate was for a auger & conveyor for un-loading fertalizer from covered hoppers. The auger would be under the grate. The conveyor would be a simple screw device running up to the top of a covered storage bin.
The palm tree growing over the grate would indicate this track has not been used for a while. Let us know if another palm tree starts growing behind the loco.
We had a SW-1 sit for about a year or more on the lead to a nuclear power plant at Ransom, IL. Finally got picked up a few weeks ago. The last I saw the SW-1 it was at Joliet, IL former Santa Fe yard.
Could be headed to the new inter-modal yard at Drummond, near Elwood, IL? IG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds