Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Need info on Dakota Southern

Date: 01/04/04 15:52
Need info on Dakota Southern
Author: zephyrus

Anyone have any info on the current status of the Dakota Southern and what motive power is on the property?

Thanks!

Date: 01/04/04 17:08
Re: Need info on Dakota Southern
Author: fbe

They are doing switching in the Mitchell, SD area.

Date: 01/04/04 17:40

Cool. Thanks. Any idea what power they are using? I remember they had 3 70 tonners, a C420, an SD 9 and even a DD40 at one point.

Date: 01/04/04 17:56
Author: tolland

The DD40A is being used for storage of diesel fuel in it's huge tank, last I heard, and is not serviceable. The Dakota Southern runs from Mitchell to Kadoka, not sure how often. Probably more often during wheat harvest. The Centennial is at Chamberlain, I think. Here is a small bit of info from South Dakota DOT:

http://www.sddot.com/fpa/railroad/carr_ds.asp

I'm going to head up that way myself in February or March sometime.

Best,
Jim Burrill
Loveland, Colorado

Date: 01/04/04 18:19
Author: SOO6617

All they are doing now is switching in Mitchell, SD. BNSF's policy of pushing shuttle trains to the exclusion of all else has almost killed the Dakota Southern since it is their only connection.

Date: 01/04/04 18:46
Jim

In particular I'm interested in the 70 tonners. If you do make it over there, I would appreciate any info on them and their condition, especially the 76.

Thanks!

Date: 01/04/04 19:34
Author: HoosierVirg

There are three old Milwaukee SD-9s in Chamberlain, 506, 512, and 522. Yes, all they do is switch Mitchell at the present time thanks to, as already pointed out, the shift to the shuttle grain trains. Have a good and safe day!

Date: 01/05/04 11:33
Author: Rail1

Is the track out of service or still intact from Mitchell to Chamberlain and on to kadoka? I always wanted to photograph a train crossing that huge ex-MILW bridge over the Missouri River at Chamberlain. Is the ROW now ripped up from Kadoka west to Rapid City? Last time I was out that way in 1996 it was intact but out of service. Is headquarters still Chamberlain? I thought they did good grain bus in the line. How sad.

Date: 01/05/04 17:13
DD40 Fuel Tank?
Author: cota1992

They are using a DD-40a as a fuel tank? That's very interesting-any one have photos of history of this unit?
Thanks in advance and stay warm,
Art in Wyoming

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0268 seconds