Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP Caboose @ Newhall Yard SJ

Date: 01/14/04 20:06
SP Caboose @ Newhall Yard SJ
Author: NI030

When I was passing by Newhall Yard in SJ on this past Sunday afternoon (1/11) I did a double take when I spotted an SP bay window caboose. Anyone have any idea what it was doing there are where it was going?

Date: 01/14/04 20:25
Re: SP Caboose @ Newhall Yard SJ
Author: roberthedgecock

This crummy is a regular at Newhall yard I see it sometimes on the job going out to the Alviso water treatment plant Its usually well hidden in the yard

Date: 01/14/04 20:32

WOW they must keep it well hidden because in all my recent trips there I have have not seen it. BTW, that crummy is very crummy! Any idea why they use it on that local?

Date: 01/14/04 21:20
Author: fjc

silagi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW they must keep it well hidden because in all
> my recent trips there I have have not seen it.
> BTW, that crummy is very crummy! Any idea why
> they use it on that local?
>

Yeah, there was two of them there at one point, now all I see is the one.

Date: 01/14/04 21:43
Author: westernpacific

Looks like the one I saw about last oct at binney jct. on the end of a UP train coming from Oroville.

Date: 01/14/04 23:19
Author: brianbergtold

As Frank noted, they used to have two lying around. The Pollution switcher uses it for the long backup move to Alviso. The Perm used one up until a few years ago as well. I think it is crew discretion as to when it gets used.

Date: 01/15/04 03:03
It's a "shoving platform".
Author: topper

silagi Wrote:

> Anyone
> have any idea what it was doing there are where it
> was going?

It's what's called, techincally, a "shoving platform" instead of, technically, a caboose.

It can be used when making a movement that requires an employee to be on the point of a long shove.

UP uses them at various places around the system.

Date: 01/15/04 06:55
Re: It's a "shoving platform".
Author: Gonut1

Who would have thought thirty years ago that a caboose would become such a rarity!

Gonut

Date: 01/15/04 08:06

When they make the run out to the water treatment plant I think they also use it as a buffer between the switcher and the hazardous cars

Date: 01/15/04 08:12

Gonut1 Wrote:
> Who would have thought thirty years ago that a
> caboose would become such a rarity!

This is why I have the shooting policy that I have had ever since I have started this hobby. Shoot what is common today.....and eventually those photographs will age like a fine wine! BTW does any one know when this "Pollution Switcher" operates up to Alviso?

Date: 01/15/04 09:17

There doesnt seem to be a set day However Ive always seen it in the morning between about 10am and 12am depending on what kind of time #11 is running or any traffic as I think this is a pretty low priority move

Date: 01/15/04 09:53
Author: brianbergtold

I've seen it in the morning all the way into the afternoon. It's an RCL job, so combine that with a long shove and it's outpaced by snails.

Date: 01/15/04 10:06

They can operate an RCL out of the yard on the mainline?

Date: 01/15/04 13:31
RCL ops outside of "yards"
Author: topper

silagi Wrote:
> They can operate an RCL out of the yard on the
> mainline?

You betcha!

The carriers are who determines what's considered to be "yard operations".

In the Bay Area, RCL at present operates on the main tracks in the San Jose area, the Oakland area, between Watsonville and Castroville, between Milpitas and Warm Springs, between Ozol and Benicia, and between Ozol and Avon.

However, it can currently only be used on the main track without an employee protecting the movement on the locomotive end at Milpitas, Warm Springs, and Ozol.

And the FRA will be establishing rules in the upcoming months that will allow the carriers to expand the use of RCL outside of "yard" operations.

Date: 01/15/04 13:59
Author: fjc

silagi Wrote:
> They can operate an RCL out of the yard on the
> mainline?

On the commute line it's the Lawrence Switcher, that is supposed to operated after revenue. It sometimes works between the hour long breaks, up at the Lawrence depot area, serving what is known as the Butterhouse off of MT. 1 and Calstone off MT. 2, well the new sidings that is. Pine Cone Lumber further up the line is handled by the Broadway Local.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds