Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Beware: The "word" is out ... AGAIN!

Date: 01/14/04 21:35
Beware: The "word" is out ... AGAIN!
Author: sploopconductor

Hello All! In the best interests of all on this board I feel it's my duty to inform you that the UP has 'reminded' all the employees the following from today's "UPDate":

As a part of a story about the nation changing the alert level down a notch we are reminded in part ....

"Be aware: Report all trespassers or suspicious people on UP property, including rail fans."

Nothing has REALLY changed, but as they are reminded, some employees may make calls again about the "guy at m.p. 351.0 with a camera", etc. Stay cool, but be ready again, for a rash of harassment. (Maybe, maybe not, but I thought I'd let everybody know.)

Larry

P.S.: You may want to keep UP logo's out of sight also!

Date: 01/14/04 22:00
Re: Beware: The "word" is out ... AGAIN!
Author: CShaveRR

I would like to think that the operative part of this message is the "on UP property" phrase. A railfan on the property is just another trespasser.

Date: 01/14/04 22:32
Author: 90mac

UP SUCKS
TAH

Date: 01/14/04 22:37
Author: NI030

Yes there are so many great areas that are on public land to go shoot trains that there is little need to tresspass on RR property.

Date: 01/14/04 23:21
Author: espeeboy

thanks Larry - will look into toning it down a little bit (although I do try to stay off private property the majority of the time)

Date: 01/14/04 23:23
Author: BobM

The amazing thing is that someone who paints their engines YELLOW would be worried about photographs. Cone on guys, get real!

Date: 01/14/04 23:28
Author: karldotcom

Yes, just the other day I saw a howling UP conductor fire his Red Ryder at a Foamer at CP Live Girls on the Metrolink Valley Subdivision. The Foamer was so stunned he let go of his anglecock and highballed it back to Glendale.

Date: 01/14/04 23:40
Author: alco636

Come and get me. I'll be on public land. Wanna give me a hard time? Make my day. I'm a FRN, and proud to be one.

Date: 01/15/04 00:10
Author: tburzio

Hi!

> As a part of a story about the nation changing the
> alert level down a notch we are reminded in part

The Gestapo couldn't stop the French from
blowing up their trains. Think about it.

Tony Burzio
San Diego, CA

Date: 01/15/04 02:51
Author: F40PHR231

Hobby shops might want to consider selling "Railfan Brushes", that way you can sneak around the tracks going unnoticed. There's the sage, raspberry, and cactus for all of us to choose from, specially fitted for cameras to point out and shoot!

Beware of pissin' dogs!

Date: 01/15/04 14:40
Author: BrianJennison

I still say we should all wear camo and carry rifles... then we'd look like hunters and they'd leave us alone! :-) These are indeed strange times...

Date: 01/15/04 14:45
Re: Let US Get Out the Word
Author: Fandemonium

When are _we_ going to let the railroads know that we won't tolerate being bullied for pursuing our hobby? Railfans have been around for decades and all these new hires coming off the street aren't aware of what we do and are scared of our very presence. These people need to be taught that railfans have been a part of their companies' histories for a very long time and that we will not simply disappear because they want us to. Ditto for law enforcement agencies, railroad, local, state, and federal.

Trespass? Yeah, we all do it. We may not necessarily be aware of it at the time, but it happens. And when we _know_ we're doing it, then don't get lippy when you're asked to leave.

As far as I'm concerned, this latest threat from UP (yes, it _is_ a direct threat toward railfans, no matter which way you look at it) doesn't concern me; I don't photograph that railroad because I find it to be extremely boring.

FM

Date: 01/15/04 15:18
Not just UP
Author: Brian

BNSF put out a similar message on it's track bullitens this week. I've done my part, I had to "arrest" (sherriff made me sign the complaint), a trespasser the other day at my on duty location. My biggest concern was his bag of hammers and shovels that he was carrying. He was a little woozy after falling from a moving boxcar, but he still wouldnt leave the property so the sheriff was called. He happened to have two felony warrants. Then again two people have been struck and killed by Amtrak within four miles of the yard in the last 10 days.

Brian

Date: 01/15/04 16:53
cammies
Author: coachyard

BrianJennison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still say we should all wear camo and carry
> rifles... then we'd look like hunters and they'd
> leave us alone!

I'm never bothered wearing my turban when I face east.

Date: 01/15/04 17:30
Riverbank?
Author: Frequency223

"Then again two people have been struck and killed by Amtrak within four miles of the yard in the last 10 days."

Riverbank yard?

Date: 01/15/04 19:31
Re: Not just UP
Author: TCnR

"My biggest concern was his bag of hammers and shovels that he was carrying."

OK, sounds like a Rail Fan to me too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 1.0159 seconds