Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Interview

Date: 01/16/04 11:49
UP Interview
Author: KCRailfan

I have an interview with UP on Wednesday and I need to know what to wear to this type of interview. I know this is a strange question but i've never interviewed with a railroad before so I need to know what to expect. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Date: 01/16/04 11:56
Re: UP Interview
Author: espeeboy

You know you are asking for wisecrack replies with this question on this forum. But good luck to you in that job interview. Working for the UP crossed my mind for maybe a millisecond back when I was working 3 crappy part-time college jobs 4 years ago but this thought never crosses my mind anymore.

Date: 01/16/04 12:09
Author: sphogger

I wouldn't dress up at all, just be clean and neat. I'd wear what is appropriate to the type of employment you are seeking.

sphogger

Date: 01/16/04 12:10
Author: LCW

KCRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an interview with UP on Wednesday and I
> need to know what to wear to this type of
> interview. I know this is a strange question but
> i've never interviewed with a railroad before so I
> need to know what to expect. Thanks in advance to
> all who reply.

Something Decent, but don't over dress.. Maybe Dockers and a nice shirt. keep in mind part of the UP interview includes a physical test which includes, Sit-ups as well as a hand strength and vertical lift test. Who knows withthis RCL crap, they may have a test to see if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Do show you have a genuine interest in the job and the work to be done. Not necessarily the railroad. If possible try nd get a copy of a GCOR and review that. Make a point of this in the interview (shows a working interest, not just a "rail fan" interest.

Many will tell you UP wont hire Rail fans. That isn't necessarilly true. The ones they do hire are interested in the job more than the trains and that is what they are after. I believe a GCOR is available on the BNSF public website. The GCOR is the same on Both RR. UP's GCOR, as well as Bulletins and Timetable information is password protected.

This is what I did when I hired out, and have made the same suggestions to 3 other people, all of whom followed them. All of them are now working for UP in the Chciago Service Unit...

Good luck....

Date: 01/16/04 12:11
Author: mustraline

Be neat, as in a clean shirt and pants (BUSINESS CASUAL). You are not interviewing for a professional level position. More than clean clothes,make sure they are ironed too. Bs sure to shower, shave, and wash your hair. Remember, you are not supposed to look "edgy". This isn't your big break for a moronic TV show, or worse yet, high school. You are auditioning. There are a thousand guys behind you.

What will it take for you to make a favorable impession on the interviewer? Convey that you are intelligent, that you are flexible, that you have a can do attitude, and you don't need any supervision to get the job done, and you have a positive sense of humor and outlook. In other words,lose any trace that you were ever stupid enough to fall for the crap that your peers thought was sooooo cool in high school. You are an adult now, not some refugee from 'Friends'.

Remember, our country is loosing so many semi-skilled and skilled jobs to other countries, opportunities like this won't come along often, if ever again. Especially if you have given up on the notion of a higher education. Good luck.

Date: 01/16/04 12:33
Author: UPP209

Here are a few of the interview questions I remember that were among the hardest to rattle off an answers for...

What are three reasons why you would like to work for UP?
What are three reasons UP should hire you over the rest of the applicants?

Also, when they talk about your criminal background, don't ask them if you should write down your OWI (Operating while intoxicated, some states DUI) arrest you recieved, but were able to fight off in court. He didn't get the job.

What did you apply for? Train Service?

KCRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an interview with UP on Wednesday and I
> need to know what to wear to this type of
> interview. I know this is a strange question but
> i've never interviewed with a railroad before so I
> need to know what to expect. Thanks in advance to
> all who reply.

Date: 01/16/04 13:06
Author: BNSFCSX

Dress casual, dockers and a polo shirt are fine.
Make sure they're comfortable and not restrictive.
I know when I tested and interviewed for conductor in Fort Madison a few years ago for the BNSF it was two days long with a lot of sitting in a conference room. They basically tried to weed out the guys that were not serious by telling you why you didn't want to work for the railroad. Once the interview portion actually starts don't even give a clue as to any concerns about relocating or even if it means moving to the area of the interview from 6 hrs away or so. That cost me at BNSF, the concern more of how was I going to move and what opportunity to do it would there be. They basically are going to tell you for $60,000 per year you can find a way. Good Luck !!

BNSFCSX

Date: 01/16/04 16:03
Author: 90mac

"Many will tell you UP wont hire Rail fans. That isn't true. but the ones they do hire, are interested in the job more than the trains. and that is what they are after".
Don't you believe it!!!
DO NOT let the interviewers know that you a fan.
I learned that from a friend who used to work in the ATSF General Managers office in Los Angeles and he has related the way that people talked about railfans, it was not very positive and they never hired a railfan unless they had a relative that worked for the RR.
TAH

Date: 01/16/04 16:03
Author: BNSFhogger

Tell them that you know you won't have a life after hiring on. You will be available 24/7, 365 days a year.

Date: 01/16/04 20:54
Author: gmgeezer

They like to hear that you do things outdoors. Work play etc.

Date: 01/17/04 05:40
Author: slugbug

wear a t-shirt with a UP logo on it, and tell them that working for the UP would allow you the opportunity to give something back to a railroad which has done so much for fans.

And tell them John Bromley ROCKS!!!!!

Date: 01/17/04 09:29
Author: dbla8342

It depends on the indvidual interviewer. I am a UP manager and a railfan and have conducted hiring sessions in the past (albeit while employed by Norfolk Southern never here) and would say that all the suggestions mentioned in this thread are valid. More than anything, a positive attitude should be the most important thing you "wear." Let the person conducting the interview know that you WANT to be a railroader and understand the demands of the job and lifestyle. I wouldn't advertise that you are a railfan, but if asked don't lie about it. When I hired out with NS (and later UP) they knew I was a railfan, but I conveyed a sincere interest in the business of railroading, not the hobby.

Good luck and maybe I'll run into you out there some day!

Dave..............

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0825 seconds