Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Stockton railfanning

Date: 01/28/04 15:38
Stockton railfanning
Author: sonomarail

Since there has been some discussion the past couple of weeks about the Stockton tower area, it seems the message just hasn't sunk in.

I was leaving Stockton on a BARPAS on Sunday about 1pm, on #1 main. As we pulled west from the yard office, I noticed a man, with a camera, standing next to the switch that enters Mormon Yard off #2 main. Pretty much on RR property. After taking his shot, he got in his SUV, moved about a block over, and was now standing on the ROW, next to the switch that crosses from #1 to #2 main tracks. Again, pretty much on the ROW! Then he moved another couple of blocks, and this time was standing BETWEEN the rails that go to the UP yard from #2 main, the old siding. Then, as we went around the corner on to the UP, I saw another guy standing on the ties of the #2 main just west of the diamond.

Now, it was a very nice day, and I know that they probably got some nice shots, but this is just the kind of behavior that will ruin the location for everybody. The RR wants us to turn in this kind of stuff!

I have seen this first guy around before, I don't know who he is, or if he is a local or not. Don't be surprised if someone doing this stuff gets turned in.

BNSF Bill

Date: 01/28/04 16:03
Re: Stockton railfanning
Author: Brian

You sure that it wasn't the hit team in railfan cammo?

Brian

Date: 01/28/04 16:52
Author: cp24

I asked this question the other day, and got no replies, so I'll ask it again under this thread...

Where do you usually park when railfanning near the tower?

Is it OK to park inside the diamond off of Scotts Ave? I have seen numerous people there in the past, and they have said it is OK as long as you don't go past the old ATSF No Trespassing sign.

Has anyone ever been hassled for being in there?

Thanks.

Date: 01/28/04 18:31
Author: dggill

The Union Pacific Police enforce trespassing at the diamond area if you are withing thirty feet of the center of the tracks and standing on private property. Technically, the entire tower block is the private property of BNSF. Certainly, nobody should be parked in the triangle formed by the Keddie Jct. tracks, the BNSF main, and the UP main. That still leave the whole eastern end of the block between the Keddie Jct tracks and the former WP right of way. As stated, this is technically private property, but BNSF in the past has not bothered railfans parked away from the tracks, east the the Keddie Jct tracks on the dirt area just off the paved city streets.
Bill is right. Too many railfans abuse the hospitality of UP and BNSF by parking within the triangle or, even worse, actually walking south, across the BNSF main, so that they will have the sun at their backs to expose their shots. I can guarantee you that if UP police come along and find you south of the BNSF main, a citation will be issued.
Although I am a local, I have not been hanging around the Tower area very much in the last couple of years so I do not know how active the UP police are in the area in recent months. I know that there are others on the list that frequent the area on weekends and perhaps they can better comment on the recent levels of enforcement in the Tower area. BNSF police have never been very active in the area. However, when and if the UP police patrol the Tower area, they maintain a zero tolerance policy.

Date: 01/28/04 21:20
Author: DynamicBrake

So much for hanging out at the diamond during the Winterail dinner break!

Date: 01/28/04 21:37

Brian, I thought of that, since I know I had seen that guy somewhere before!

For of those that don't know, BNSF has a "hit team" that travels around the system "testing" us. This would be just the kind of thing they would test, to see if I would report the incident to a manager or the DS.

BNSF Bill

Date: 01/28/04 21:40

And, I certainly didn't mean I would turn anybody in for having a good time and persuing their hobby. And I know those of you going to Winterrail would surely visit the tower area. Just use your heads, and stay away from the private property areas and the rails.

BNSF Bill

Date: 01/29/04 00:41
Author: NWP_lpb

a few bad seeds always spoil the fruit. greedy bastards. make it bad for everyone else (in regards to those who are getting too close or breaking the respect/code/safety issue).

Date: 01/29/04 09:22
Author: mococomike

We have had events with as many as 40 folks there with no issues. As long as you park on the street near the Propane dealer on Scott Ave. You can hang out on the NE corner where the old WP ROW is with out any issues. Just stay north of the BNSF main and out of the cneter area btwn. Keddie Wye and the UP main and they won't hassle you.

Date: 01/29/04 14:07
Author: cp24

Thank you guys for all the informative replies. Lots of good advice to follow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds