Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SSW 9631 on the high plains at Vaughn, NM

Date: 01/29/04 22:06
SSW 9631 on the high plains at Vaughn, NM
Author: PasadenaSub

Seeing Mr. Belmont's (GrandeGold) excellent recent postings of Santa Fe trains in and around Abo Canyon in New Mexico got me digging through my collection for slides of my only trip to the area in December, 1995.

Here's Cotton Belt GP60 9631 leading a westbound doublestack train at Vaughn, NM on the Golden State route, coming from Tucumcari and ex-Rock Island trackage. The Santa Fe Transcon can be seen crossing over the Southern Pacific line in the distance. The temperature was about 30 degrees when I snapped this shot around 8am on December 3. I had spent the previous night in Vaughn (with almost no restaurants!), and would head back west to Abo Canyon after getting a few shots of this SP train.

Rich

Date: 01/30/04 05:47
Re: SSW 9631 on the high plains at Vaughn, NM
Author: eljay

the best huevos rancheros i've ever enjoyed were at a small cafe in vaughan, n.m.! eljay

Date: 01/30/04 08:49

Hi Larry,

I recently saw Gyralite last week when I was out getting some shots of the UP Operation Lifesaver special in Pomona. He was on the opposite side of the train and only recognized me when he heard me yelling his name. We didn't get to talk since the train departed shortly thereafter.

It was good meeting you last year on the two PX320 'Pony Express' trips!

Take care,

Rich

Date: 01/30/04 10:24
Author: GrandeGold

Hey Rich,

Did you manage to catch a meet at the flyover at Vaughn? A friend and I were lucky at Vaughn in 1998...the UP parked a train in the siding, just east of the flyover (with CSX power on the point!) and we shot numerous meets with BNSF trains on top of the bridge/culvert.

Did you see many trains on the SP line that day?

James Belmont

Date: 01/30/04 13:08

Hi James,

I believe I saw 2 SP trains that morning in Vaughn, an eastbound north of town, and this westbound south of town. I figured I'd see more trains on the Santa Fe though, and headed back to Abo Canyon for the rest of the day, before flying home from Albuquerque that night.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0274 seconds