Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > For those familiar with the Rochelle area

Date: 04/30/04 19:53
For those familiar with the Rochelle area
Author: CJ

I'm sure a bunch of you are familiar with the Rochelle, IL area, so I'm curious: what advice would you give an easterner who is planning on hitting the Rochelle area for a couple days? My main focus would be the UP, and I'm not the type to sit around at the Rochelle diamonds all day. I'm looking for any scenic locations, advice on traffic patterns, radio frequencies...basically the whole nine yards. I'm sorry for the short notice, but this has been a a recent decision and I'd like to head out there in a couple of weeks. Also, any good hotels in Rochelle or the surrounding areas?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Date: 04/30/04 20:49
Re: For those familiar with the Rochelle area
Author: johns

Hi Chris:
I haven't been there for almost 3 yrs but hope to get back this summer. There are (or at least were) three motels within a mile or so of the park. Try trains.org for a link to the park site. I think that will link to the motels.
I spend all my time at the park so others will need to advise on area photo locations.
My first year there (2000) the train count was the highest; in '01 it seemed to be down, especially on the BNSF side.
It's a great area, you'll enjoy it.

John

Date: 04/30/04 21:56
Author: Doubledumb

Here is a link to the site. Most of the better photo ops are on the BNSF. Follow the tracks east & west. Stewart, Lee, and Shabbona to the east. Chana and Oregon to the west. Depending on how far you want to go, the whole line west to Savanna is good for photos.
This is a shot in Milledgeville 4/14/04

http://rochellerailroadpark.tripod.com/

Date: 05/01/04 02:46
Author: rrnut_99

I'd make sure to shoot the coal chutes at Dekalb (east of Rochelle) and Nelson (west of Rochelle) on the UP. If you're mostly interested in the UP, Nelson would definately be worth it to catch some action on the Peoria Sub, as well as the east/west mainline. Most times the UP has a coal train or two tied down as well. As someone stated, the BNSF has a little bit more for scenery, but if you're creative the UP is just as good. One thing the UP line has, that the BNSF doesn't, is LOTS of traffic.

L.G.

Date: 05/01/04 08:01
Author: LCW

Scenic Shots and Rochelle? That's kinda like military intelligence....

Date: 05/01/04 08:48
Author: rrnut_99

LOL....

LCW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scenic Shots and Rochelle? That's kinda like
> military intelligence....

Date: 05/01/04 20:58
Author: CJ

Alright thanks for your information folks. Going to head to Sand Patch instead. Mance, here I come!!

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds