Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > California Western Back in Steam

Date: 05/01/04 19:04
California Western Back in Steam
Author: shed47

Despite the bankruptcy of the previous operator last fall and subsequent shutdown the California Western is up and running again with the first run under new ownership out of Fort Bragg this morning. Sierra Railroad had closed escrow just two weeks ago so this all came together remarkably fast. The economic impact in Fort Bragg shouldn't be underestimated. Just about everywhere in town--restaurants, hotels, shops--the return of the "Skunk" was topic A.

As advertised, 2-8-2 #45(BLW 1924) provided power for the train. A sixth car was added to the train about 30 minutes before departure. There appeared to be heavy walk up sales and the coaches were well filled. Early arriving fans caught morning sun before the fog rolled in after 09:00. The "sun" shots in this thread all taken between 07:45 and 08:15 this morning.

http://www.skunktrain.com

Date: 05/01/04 19:08
Re: California Western Back in Steam

California Western at Fort Bragg, CA 5-1-04.

Date: 05/01/04 19:10

CWR45 at Fort Bragg, CA.

Date: 05/01/04 19:14

1924 built Baldwin light 2-8-2 #45.

Date: 05/01/04 19:16

CWR45 at Fort Bragg, CA.

Date: 05/01/04 19:19

Fog rolled in big time about 09:00 so went with a more "period" look for the last shot before departure.

Date: 05/01/04 20:12
Author: shastafan

Very nice pictures, shed47. Aside from a color change, not much has changed since June of 1976 when we saw it leaving town.

It must be one of longest-running tourist steam excursions in the west.

John

Date: 05/01/04 20:37
Author: SierraRail

In 1984, #45 was painted all black, as a steam locomotive should be.

Date: 05/02/04 08:33
Author: Freddie

Does the CWRR still turn at Northspur? I suspect they do. If so, is there any hope they will ever again run to Willits?

Date: 05/02/04 14:01
Author: W3

Sierra Railroad has a booth at Fullerton Railroad Days. They had a large picture of #45 at Northspur. The people there said that they plan to get the tracks fixed so that they can again offer round trips from Fort Bragg to Willits next year. I sent an email to Chris Hart, President, Sierra Entertainment who is responsible for the Skunk Train. He stated that

"I just got back from Fort Bragg for the Skunk's first day of operation. We had 212 people and it was a very nice day for all.

For 2004, while we will be visiting Northspur, I don't plan to reopen the concession booths this year. Instead, we will rely upon our new concession car to supply sufficient food and drink.

I'm glad you visited our booth in Fullerton. Being in SoCal, it will be interesting to see how much attention it gets for us. Well take care and good night,
Chris"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds