Western Railroad Discussion > Help a Texan, in Eau Claire

Date: 08/14/04 15:13
Help a Texan, in Eau Claire
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I am heading to Eau Claire in 10 days and will
have probably 5-6 hours to railfan. I'll be
flying into and out of MSP airport.

Suggestions please for photogentic locations with
plenty of rail traffic between MSP and Eau Claire?

Date: 08/14/04 20:56
Re: Help a Texan, in Eau Claire
Author: rdclmc

I live in Eau Claire. The Union Pacific goes through Eau Claire but chances of catching a train between Eau Claire amd the twin cities is not very good. If you have the time and are driving from the twin cities to Eau Claire I'ld take 61 south to Hastings which parallels the joint line (CP/BNSF)and cross the river above Hastings at Prescott, Wisconsin. The BNSF line crosses the ST. Croix at Prescott by means of a lift bridge. The traffic is pretty steady on the BNSF line between St Paul and LaCrosse. From Prescott go to River Falls and then back on I94 to Eau Claire. In Eau Claire the UP crosses the Eau Claire River on one bridge and the Chippewa on another bridge. You can also drive by the yard in Altoona where some switching is usualley going on. The 2719 steam engine is sitting in the yard but is mostly covered by a blue tarp. If you have any questions please e-mail me at rdclmc@charter.net

Richard Carroll

Date: 08/15/04 20:34
Re: Help a Texan, in Eau Claire
Author: alco636

West of Eau Claire an older single lane road follows the UP for a while. Maybe 20 miles? There are a few good spots, but few trains too. :(

alco636, wishin' ya good luck

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds