Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Pics of BNSF Washouts ???

Date: 08/23/04 12:53
Pics of BNSF Washouts ???
Author: CimaScrambler

Did anyone get any photos of the BNSF washouts around Frost or between Barstow and Daggett a week or so ago? I went looking for old posts, with or without photos but it appears there aren't any. Seems odd that such an event so close to LA had no one follow up on it.

I was busy photographing anything I could find at Jacumba at the time on my way east to the Colorado River, and didn't even hear about it until later that night. But when I was in El Centro late that afternoon, or on Highway 78 between Brawley and Blythe, it was pretty obvious the area around Julian in San Diego County, and the area north of Mount San Gorgonio in the San Bernardino Mountains, was getting pretty much hammered. I later heard the deluge around Julian was to the tune of 8 inches an hour.

Where did the rain actually fall, in the storm that took out the BNSF tracks at Frost - right in that area, or farther up the hill?

- Kit

Date: 08/23/04 13:57
Re: Pics of BNSF Washouts ???
Author: anaheim-al

I was up there on Sunday the 15th, the day after, around 6:00pm. Everything had been rebuilt by then. Not sure if that was a temp fix or the real deal.

A few pics from my visit are at:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,775161

Date: 08/23/04 17:20
Author: dsrtrail

CimaScrambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I was busy photographing anything I could find at
> Jacumba at the time on my way east to the Colorado
> River, and didn't even hear about it until later
> that night. > - Kit
>
>
Kit

Are you going to show what pictures you took at Jacumba?. There seems to be some more action out there. Thanks.

Date: 08/23/04 21:42

dsrtrail Wrote:
> CimaScrambler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> > I was busy photographing anything I could
> find at
> > Jacumba at the time on my way east to the
> Colorado
> > River, and didn't even hear about it until
> later
> > that night. > - Kit
> >
> >
> Kit
>
> Are you going to show what pictures you took at
> Jacumba?. There seems to be some more action out
> there. Thanks.
>
>

I intend to do so. However it may take a while to get to it. During the past week's road trip, I visited three states and exposed 11 rolls of Provia 100F, 6 rolls of Acros B&W, as well as 7 4x5 sheets of Tri-X and 5 4x5 sheets of Provia. Getting all of this sorted out is going to be quite a job! I processed the Black and White on Sunday, and the rest comes back from the lab Tomorrow.

I was amazed how many locomotives CZRY has scattered around at Jacumba. The small yard is just jammed, and there are spare parts on pallets laying all over the place. There was also the sand train, with two ex-SP units (still unpatched, from what I could see) and a sting of open-top hoppers, off to the south of the station a ways. No sign of the derailed passenger cars, I wonder if they are still laying there in the Gorge.

- Kit

Date: 08/23/04 21:49

anaheim-al Wrote:
> > I was up there on Sunday the 15th, the day
> after, around 6:00pm. Everything had been rebuilt
> by then. Not sure if that was a temp fix or the
> real deal.
>
> A few pics from my visit are at:
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,7
> 75161
>
>

Thanks, Jeff. Somehow I missed that thread while looking back through the list. Your pictures definitely flesh out the story.

Funny, when I was out around Frost a few weeks ago with my son, I was looking at those culvert pipes to east of the short bridge over the wash in that draw, and was wondering why they needed the culvert as well as the bridge. Guess we know now! You never know which way the gully washer is coming from.

- Kit

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds