Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sheraman Hill

Date: 10/31/04 14:37
Sheraman Hill
Author: nischik

I read about it countless times in books and mags. In a few months weeks I will be packing my Eclipse and heading for LA from near Chicago, and taking my time getting there. Sherman Hill is #1 on my "must see" list.

Would appreciate any info re. directions to the best vantage point to chronicle the action at this place, take photos, and may be take a hike.

Date: 10/31/04 17:52
Re: Sheraman Hill
Author: DENNRRA

There is a great soft bound book out by " Allen Clark" on Sherman Hill, shows all the nice spots and can be got at any book store for about 25.00 or so or you can order it on line from Caboose Hobbies.

Date: 10/31/04 19:03
Author: TrackOne

If you are traveling to Sherman Mountain October thru April forget about hiking. The weather is arctic like with never ending brutal winds out of the north west. You will end up sitting in your vehicle with the heater going. The weather can be sunny for an hour, then cloudy , then snow showers or even a blizzard. It changes that quickly. The UPRR over Sherman is located between Interstate 80 on the north and US Hwy 287 on the south. As soon as you leave either road you will be on graded red gravel. The roads are poorly marked or not marked at all. And they can be rough riding. You will need to have a full tank of gas before leaving Laramie or Cheyenne. Snow tires or new aggresive tire treads are a minimum, chains would help. It is unpredictable up there and accross the entire state in winter. You may not meet another car or truck on the back roads for an entire day. SO be prepared with a winter survival kit. Bring plenty of food and water. It is just that kind of place.
tom

Date: 11/01/04 06:36
Author: nischik

Thanks Track One:

Part of the adventure is to experience Sherman Hill in the cold weather. It will probably be late March or early April for me. I probably will rent an SUV in Chayenne for the poor road conditions, but it is precisely the cold winter atmosphere that I want to experience. There is no fool like an old fool, but mamma taught this man not to be reckless and stupid. Your post made me want to go for it more than ever. I am an outdoorsman, so I have plenty of sub-zero equipment in my closet.

Will give you a full report when I get back home.

GWB all the way!

Date: 11/01/04 10:23
Author: tolland

Probably the most popular place is Hermosa crossing near Tie Siding. The fella at the Tie Siding store is open usually and has snack items if you get hungry. As the other fella said, be kind of cautious of the weather. I'd stick close to either Hermosa crossing or else Dale Creek. Both of those can be found using Mapquest and searching on those names.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds