Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Another "backwards" MSJRV at Newark today

Date: 11/02/04 13:58
Another "backwards" MSJRV at Newark today
Author: NI030

Today's MSJRV left Santa Clara today with another lead unit running long hood forward. Today it was C40-8 UP 9332. The plan is to wye the power at Newark before heading north. Also in the power consist were the UP 6659, and two patched SP units, the UP 1486 & 1489. Not sure which unit will be leading after the work at Newark. Not sure if they are going to wye all the power or just the lead unit. If they wye everything the 1489 will be in the lead.

Date: 11/02/04 14:00
Re: Another "backwards" MSJRV at Newark today
Author: TopcoatSmith

And last night an NS led WB crossed over the top of the 91 at Riverside Jct. , maybe the black horsemen have taken over ???

TCS - long nose foist

Date: 11/02/04 14:21
Author: roberthedgecock

This is very odd when I went by Santa Clara at 10am the #6659 was on the lead short hood leading perhaps UP has a new policy that the MSJRV will be long hood operation from now on ?

Date: 11/02/04 14:42
Author: espeeboy

most likely two things happened out of Newhall. The UP9332 was either a late addition and there was no time to disconnect the power and stick the UP9332 in the trailing position and/or the 6659 died and had to be moved to trailing DIC position. All in all, two back-to-back days of weird MSJRV movements from Santa Clara to Newark a la NS hogghead style. Thanks for posting the pics Silagi...

Date: 11/02/04 14:48

roberthedgecock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is very odd when I went by Santa Clara at
> 10am the #6659 was on the lead short hood leading
> perhaps UP has a new policy that the MSJRV will be
> long hood operation from now on ?

Originally the 6659 was to lead the train but it must of had a problem. I heard the crew changing the mechanical warrant to the 9332 just before they left Santa Clara. Then I heard that they would need to wye the power at Newark, so off I went in hopes of something interesting.

Date: 11/02/04 14:55
Author: samreeves

If there was only a turntable at San Jose. SP never had that problem.

Date: 11/02/04 15:02

samreeves Wrote:
> If there was only a turntable at San Jose. SP
> never had that problem.

Well last time I checked a few weeks ago, at least the turntable pit is still there. Maybe Caltrain will rebuild it when they build their new facility on that site ? :-)

Date: 11/02/04 15:26
Author: DaveE

Just as I started reading this thread, I heard a train coming up the Niles Sub from Newark. Went out and saw the 9332, still on point, but now short hood forward.

DaveE

Date: 11/02/04 15:48

DaveE Wrote:
> Just as I started reading this thread, I heard a
> train coming up the Niles Sub from Newark. Went
> out and saw the 9332, still on point, but now
> short hood forward.

Hey all,

Ain't the internet amazing! I am here at work waiting for the train to go by and already know all of what has happened to it (without even listening to a scanner) for just the first 30 miles of its journey north to Roseville! I don't think anywhere else in the country is there such dedicated coverage of railfanning in one specific area as we do here in the Bay Area - specifically the East Bay. After all, some locals really did pioneer the computer age and a lot of other Silicon Valley products but the railfan reporters out there complete with picture threads really cover some of these trains from head to toe (wheel flange to exhaust stack?). Just amazed at how I can know so much about a train's movement and happenings less then 2 hours after it has left its origination yard beforte it gets to me!!! Thanks again guys...

Date: 11/02/04 15:53

Yeah I dont know how I managed to get any photos back in the old days back in the 70's with no scanner, no internet, no cell phones, no computer traces, no nothing. Just taking chances and going down to the tracks and waiting to see what comes by.

Date: 11/02/04 15:53
Author: DaveE

espeeboy Wrote:
> DaveE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just as I started reading this thread, I
> heard a
> > train coming up the Niles Sub from Newark.
> Went
> > out and saw the 9332, still on point, but
> now
> > short hood forward.
>
> Hey all,
>
> Ain't the internet amazing! I am here at work
> waiting for the train to go by and already know
> all of what has happened to it (without even
> listening to a scanner) for just the first 30
> miles of its journey north to Roseville! I don't
> think anywhere else in the country is there such
> dedicated coverage of railfanning in one specific
> area as we do here in the Bay Area - specifically
> the East Bay. After all, some locals really did
> pioneer the computer age and a lot of other
> Silicon Valley products but the railfan reporters
> out there complete with picture threads really
> cover some of these trains from head to toe (wheel
> flange to exhaust stack?). Just amazed at how I
> can know so much about a train's movement and
> happenings less then 2 hours after it has left its
> origination yard beforte it gets to me!!! Thanks
> again guys...

The only downside to this is I'm home sick. If it were a normal day, I'd be lucky to catch it outside my office building in Alviso. I'm usually tied to my desk, or in one of many (too many) meetings I attend, so the spotting is "spotty" at best.

DaveE

Date: 11/02/04 16:10
Author: NSTopHat

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
> And last night an NS led WB crossed over the top
> of the 91 at Riverside Jct. , maybe the black
> horsemen have taken over ???
>
>
> TCS - long nose foist

Assimillation of the Borg has begun. Long live the high short hood and long hood forward!!!

NSTopHat

Date: 11/02/04 17:37
Author: MacBeau

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
> And last night an NS led WB crossed over the top
> of the 91 at Riverside Jct. , maybe the black
> horsemen have taken over ???
>
>
> TCS - long nose foist

I don't think UP could be that lucky. What would they do with people who actually know how to run a railroad?

Date: 11/02/04 21:12
Today's MRVSJ/internet makes foaming fun
Author: gobbl3gook

Here's today's Roseville-San Jose train. Looks like they'll have a tough time finding an excuse to go long-hood forward tomorrow.

Yesterday's MRVSJ had the 93XX Dash-8 on the point, the two GPs in the middle, and the widenose unit on the rear coming through Davis, so they pulled that Dash-8 off one end and stuck it on the other.

The internet does put a lot more facets into railfanning. And living trackside now is a lot more interesting, with digital cameras and yahoogroups, than it was when I last did it (2 blocks from UP/SP/Utah in Utah in the mid 90s). If I'd had had a digicam then, I'd have learned a lot more a lot faster, and maybe have some cool photos to pop up now and then like Sir Belmont.

But, in a year or two we'll all have cell phones with cameras and web-posting ability, and then trainorders will ba awash with photos of every odd locmotive in the country. SHould be lots of fun.

Meanwhile, I'm just glad Bob Krieger squeaked into the digital age before he fell off the face of the earth.

Do an author search for bob3895 and see all the great stuff he shot in the dawn of the digital age.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/search.php?
1,search=Bob3985+,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,body=,author=1,subject=

for instance--
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,142350,142353#msg-142353
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,62849,62849#msg-62849
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,582138,582138#msg-582138
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,583336,583402#msg-583402

And I'm glad Trainorders has all the photos archived... Nice work, Todd!

Ted in Davis

Date: 11/03/04 12:07
COTTON BELT meet on today's Rosevile <=> San Jose train
Author: gobbl3gook

Today's Roseville-San Jose train has patched COTTON BELT GP40 1524 on the point (with a UP SD40-2 and 80 cars). (WB @ Davis, 12:00 noon)

Today's San Jose-Roseville train should have the sister unit 1523 on the point.

There'll be a COTTON BELT meet somewhere this afternoon.

Should be good foamy fun for you Bay Area folks--where do these trains usually meet?

Ted in Davis

Date: 11/03/04 12:14
Re: COTTON BELT meet on today's Rosevile &lt;=&gt; San

gobbl3gook Wrote:
> There'll be a COTTON BELT meet somewhere this
> afternoon.
>
> Should be good foamy fun for you Bay Area
> folks--where do these trains usually meet?

There used to be a normal meet either at 5th ave/East Oakland or Magnolia 3 years ago when these trains actually held doen a normal schedule. But today the meet can be anywhere between the Cal-P along Richmond to Martinez down to Newark. I'd say at leat 50 percent of the time, the meets are down at Newark these days with the northbound MSJRV being late and the southbound being on time. Call time for the MSJRV out of Newhall (Santa Clara) is 12 noon and the call time for the southbound MRVSJ out of Roseville is 9AM I believe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1047 seconds