Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > AMTRAK CANCELLED

Date: 01/12/05 12:34
AMTRAK CANCELLED
Author: SF5953

I was schedualed to ride Amtrak Friday from Salt Lake to Denver. I just received a call from Amtrak telling me the train has been cancelled due to rock slides. I saw the post about the train hitting a boulder in Colorado. My question is what are my chances if I reschedual for Saturday for getting out of town. Wondering if any one knows more info.

Steve Ellis

Date: 01/12/05 13:04
Should Run Saturday - Amtrak
Author: cozephyr

With improving weather the UP would likely have the line reopened by Friday. However, like all crystal balls, unforeseen events could develop. I'd rebook if I were you.

Date: 01/12/05 14:35
Re: Should Run Saturday - Amtrak
Author: poffcapt

Reminds me of the time about 1978 when I was going to ride Amtrak from Seattle to Yakima over the Milwaukee. That was back in the days when the Builder (or, was it the Northcoast Hiawatha?)... anyway, that was when the train used to run over Stampede Pass, but there "was trouble in River City" so to speak, so the train was going to run over Snoqualmie for a couple of weeks. Two days before I was supposed to go I got a call from Amtrak saying the train wouldn't be running over Snoqualmie. Seems MLW's tracks were in such bad shape that Amtrak was afraid the train would derail going up or down the west side of the pass!

At least, you have the ability to be able to re-schedule - Enjoy!

BLS

Date: 01/12/05 22:08
Re: AMTRAK CANCELLED
Author: drgw

SF5953 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was schedualed to ride Amtrak Friday from Salt
> Lake to Denver. I just received a call from Amtrak
> telling me the train has been cancelled due to
> rock slides.

Steve-
I find it hard to believe that!
...You mean *Amtrak* actually called you? <G>
The same Amtrak that can't even clearly communicate service disruptions on their website?
Okay, I'm up off the floor now...the dizziness is fading.
I hope your trip goes well whenever you decide to go...
-Wes

Date: 01/13/05 08:31
Re: AMTRAK CANCELLED thru Jan 14
Author: mundo

Zephyr cancelled Jan 12-13-14 west of Denver. Will operate Denver-Chicago.

Date: 01/13/05 12:40
Re: AMTRAK CANCELLED thru Jan 14
Author: jedimaster

I was scheduled out on #5 from Denver to Glenwood Springs on Jan. 15 then back on #6 to Denver on Jan. 16. Amtrak called at home and left a message that both trains were cancelled. I called Amtrak to cancel the reservations, and they were very nice about it - full refund. The operator indicated there were lots of problems west of Denver. We still have the hotel booked and will drive I-70 (we live in Fort Collins, CO), but I sure would rather not have to drive.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds