Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Midnight at the Natural Crossover

Date: 01/25/05 00:41
Midnight at the Natural Crossover
Author: CimaScrambler

I love this spot, as do many other folks. At night, with the growing presence of the city, the different colors of urban light give more to work with. This is from this past Friday night. The train that left its streak across the image was the Southwest Chief, which passed by here at 10:30 PM under the light of a nearly full moon. Despite the cold, there were actually folks camping in Mojave Narrows Regional Park.

Technical information: Light level LV=-4.2, underexposed 2/3 stop for 17 minutes at f/8 using a lens focal length around 100 mm and Fuji Provia 100F.

Be safe out there . . .

- Kit

http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome/LunarLight

Date: 01/25/05 01:28
Re: Midnight at the Natural Crossover
Author: alex14ramos

HOT DANG!!! That is an awesome photo dude, I wish I could set my D70 at 17 minutes. The highest shutter speed I got is 30 seconds.

Thanks for sharing,
Alex Ramos

Date: 01/25/05 05:27
Author: QU25C

A great shot and how cool was it . cold is 20 out Brrrrrrr Richard

Date: 01/25/05 06:11
Author: Winks

That's a great shot Kit.

Date: 01/25/05 06:50
Author: Nitehostler

Really unique...appreciate your sharing this.

Date: 01/25/05 06:51
Author: brettrw

alex14ramos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HOT DANG!!! That is an awesome photo dude, I wish
> I could set my D70 at 17 minutes. The highest
> shutter speed I got is 30 seconds.
>
> Thanks for sharing,
> Alex Ramos

Alex,

The D-70 can be set to open the shutter for as long as you have a power source to hold it open. IE until the battery dies or longer if on an optional power source. The 'bulb' setting (one click past the 30 second setting) will start exposing when the shutter is fired by the remote (purchased seperately) and close when the remote is fired again. Not sure about the 30 minute max mentioned in the book, and unless you are doing star trails 30 min seems like plenty of time for most things anyway.

Check your manual page 82-83 for the specifics.

Good Luck

Brett (D-70 owner as well)

Date: 01/25/05 09:53
Author: alex14ramos

HEY, Brett thanks for the info. I guess that I need to re read my manual over and over. I actually own the remote and didn't know about this.

Thanks a bunch,
Alex Ramos

Date: 01/25/05 11:03
Author: rob_l

Why is the Frost Fly-over called the "Natural Crossover". It looks quite man-made to me.

Regards,

Rob L.

Date: 01/25/05 21:53
Author: mp349

Great picture Kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your pictures inspired me to try a picture by moonlight.

You can see it here at:

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20096&sort=2&cat=695&page=1

Needed something different for this contest.

I would think it would be harder to shoot in film than with a digital camera. With the digital camera I was able to see what I got right after the shot was taken and adjust the f-stop on the next try. Luckily I had eight trains to practice on.

mp349

P.S.
I can't make the link active so you will have to copy and paste.

Date: 01/26/05 00:10

Thanks for the comments.

MP349 -

If you get a chance, compare your photo against the similar Robert Hale image in John Signor's book on Tehachapi to see how far night photography has come in the past fifty years. The crisp images you can get from a digital camera are just astounding, especially when compared against the moving shadows from multiple-hour-long exposures on Tri-X with a slow lens.

Just out of curiosity, what model of digital camera did you use? I've been thinking about a digital Canon body to go with my current equipment, mostly to do just what you did - get instant feedback on how night photos are turning out while still in the field.

- Kit

Date: 01/26/05 00:18

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get one train on each track into the same image during the evening. However, I've had a go at compositing one image into another to get the same effect. Nothing like a bit of photoshop to make the evening go by smoothly.

- Kit

Date: 01/26/05 21:11
Author: mp349

CimaScrambler:

I have the Canon Digital Rebel (EOS 300D). It's a 6.3 megapixel SLR that uses EF and EF-S lens. I bought it as the "kit" that came with the EF-S 18-55mm lens. I have since bought a Canon EF 75-300mm lens and a Canon EF 28-105mm USM lens.

If you have any Canon EF lenses they will work on any of the new Canon digital SLR camera's. If I were buying a new Canon today, I would get the EOS 20D. It is an 8.2 megapixel SLR. It runs about $500 more than the Rebel which was $999 (kit).

The picture I took was taken at 6:56 PM January 22, 2005 (sunset was at 5:30 PM and a big near full moon over head) with the camera on a tripod and a cable release that locks (Canon RS60-E3). The camera was set to ISO 200, exposure time to "Bulb", apeture at f10, and the lens (EF-S 18-55mm) was set to MF (manual focus) and 18.0mm. The exposure time was 1142 seconds which comes out to about 19 minutes. This also required a full charge on the battery.

Love that second picture. I was hoping to get the little red dots of the FRED in my picture but they didn't come out. I was also wondering if a digital camera could shoot a double exposure? Instead of using Photoshop, just keep taking over the same image. Could not find anything in the owners manual though.

Looking forward to more of your pictures, and I'm going to try some more myself.

mp349

Date: 01/27/05 00:11

Hey mp349, thanks for the technical info. Indeed it is the Canon 20D I'm thinking of buying. I have a lot of EF glass to go with it, and am currently using an EOS-3 body.

Ain't night photography fun?

Be safe out there . . .

- Kit

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0789 seconds