Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Driving directions for New Mexico

Date: 02/07/05 19:14
Driving directions for New Mexico
Author: goalco

Can anybody provide me with directions to visit the reverse curves in the area known as `Glorieta. I've alwayas to catch Amtrak at this spot. Thanks for any help

Date: 02/07/05 21:17
Re: Driving directions for New Mexico
Author: chico

the one time I shot in that canyon I had to park on a dirt access road that came off the Interstate 25 at about mile marker 295.5 on I-25. I scouted out the passage on a prior runby northbound in my car--otherwise you blow right by it so if you know exactly where it is, you can safely make the quick slowdown and turnoff, park, and hike a short distance into a location. If you look at a Mapquest.com map of Lamy, and zoom in just to the northest, you'll see the RR/Interstate. Glorietta depot is at the east side of a "hump" on the map--and there is a road on the south side of the tracks there. That is shown as exit 299.

This was in Sept. '95, a week before the end of the SF as a corporation, so I don't know what has changed in the way of access. But for afternoon shots of the train winding thru the red dirt cuts of the Sangre de Christo range, you'll need to be on the interstate side of the tracks. IIRC, I shot a 198 train with fresh warbonnets (600's). I'll have to scan that shot. There is also a nice rock cut at Canoncito, shot Amtrak 3 as it made a move thru there (exit 294). Got the back page parting shot in TRAINS mag. with that one.

Date: 02/07/05 21:28
Blanchard, New Mexico
Author: ATSF100WEST

goalco-

Go to http://www.terraserver.com and type in "Blanchard, New Mexico". From there select "Topographic Maps", and the scale of 1:100,000, and use the directional toggle westward, if necessary. In any case, the reverse "horseshoe" curves are west of Blanchard.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 02/08/05 05:51
Re: Driving directions for New Mexico
Author: bnsfbob

The Glorieta curve by the old depot is easy to find off I-25. Afternoon lighting for Amtrak can be tricky.

If you are referring to the famous Ribera horseshoe curves east of Glorieta, try searching for Ribera or Blanchard on www.topozone.com.

Bob

Date: 02/08/05 07:58
Re: Small World
Author: jim55

I was just wondering if I could find those reverse curves. I may be there this Sunday or Monday(when do you plan to be there?). If one was to hike to find the Raton tunnel, would the East(N) or west (S) portal be easier to find. Thanks, Jim

Date: 02/08/05 16:45
as additional info:
Author: SP6900

BNSF has been running ALOT of traffic this way lately for some reason. 3 or 4 a day in addition to Amtrak, mostly eastbound with an occasional westbound baretable. As example, one day last week, there were 3 westbound baretables and 8 eastbound assorted trains scheduled in 2 days. This must have strained the few crews on this line to the max.
SP

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0627 seconds