Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Kansas City Three-Way Meet - pictures.

Date: 02/26/05 22:35
Kansas City Three-Way Meet - pictures.
Author: RailBaronII

I thought some of you might enjoy this series of pictures illustrating a naturally occurring, ie. not staged, 3-level meet in Kansas City.

Date: 02/26/05 22:37
Re: Kansas City Three-Way Meet - pictures.

V-MCISBD8-14 charges the new flyover as it races towards Argentine.

Date: 02/26/05 22:38

Grain Train G-RCISMR5-14 rolls along the ground level route at Santa Fe Junction under the vehicle train.

Date: 02/26/05 22:40

As the grain train works its way through Santa Fe Junction, a UP train comes across the Kaw River and will fly over Santa Fe Junction and BN Interlocking.

Date: 02/26/05 22:42

Completing the 3-level picture, the Up train, led by UP 9559, can be seen about to go under the vehicle train on the new flyover and over the grain train at the same time.

Date: 02/26/05 22:43

The final shot....trains stacked as high as I would ever like to see them...

Date: 02/26/05 23:38
Author: meh

Very cool! Thanks for posting those. Is your photo spot accessible to the public? I had the idea that the new flyover west of Union Station wasn't very visible from public land. (I usually arrive in KC by train and am at the mercy of public transportation, so it's not that easy to go exploring.)

Date: 02/27/05 01:30
Author: trainmaster

Nice photos. I also am curious where your vantage point was. I'm probably wrong, but I'm guessing from the hill south of Santa Fe Jct. I thought that area was off limits. Can anyone provide info on good watching spots for Santa Fe Jct. other than the parking lot by the large metal building? Thanks.

Date: 02/27/05 07:08
Author: meh

The most recent issue of _Trains_ (April, pp. 54-54) has maps of the traffic densities in Kansas City. They state that KC had over 1 billion tons of rail traffic in 2003, more than any other city, and 15% more than even Chicago.

Date: 02/27/05 07:51
Doesn't Get Any Better
Author: cozephyr

Now that's 21st Century Railroading! Thanks for sharing those sweet views, RailBaron.

Date: 02/27/05 09:16
Re: Doesn't Get Any Better
Author: livesteamer

I am well aware of that location and I just can't imagine that the pix were taken from an area open to public access. BNSF cops are fairly aggressive in patrolling that location and I can't believe that they will be happy if railfans are found up on the new grade that close to the new flyover.

Marty Harrison
MP 208.1 on the UPs Sedalia Sub

Date: 02/27/05 09:21

Thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately the vantage point is very, very inaccessible from public property. Though I could justify my presence to any inquiring mind, I do not "get the shot" from company property without having the proper PPE, safet boots, safety glasses, and sometimes even hard hat and vest.

There is a public crossing down below at Santa Fe Junction, but if I remember correctly, the KCT has put up some fences and are much more protective since 911.

Last time I hi-railed the KCT we found a gate unlocked and some pretty important people wanted to know why.

Date: 02/27/05 09:24
Author: QU25C

I wint up thare all the time in the 70s in the 80s thay started to kick you out and now bust you . The hill is KC propered but thay dont want you thare (old mineds) i think Richard

Date: 02/27/05 13:20
Author: millerdc

West 27th and Southwest Blvd. has an abandoned overpass that is open to the public and has a great view of the traffic shown on the post.
Right by the restored KCT roundhouse.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds