Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Does Parr yard in Reno still operate?

Date: 05/02/05 21:59
Does Parr yard in Reno still operate?
Author: dgamble

Parr Yard was the pre-merger UP yard in Reno. Is it still in operation? Is there any traffic on the UP line from Reno up to the UP (ex-WP) mainline at Reno Jct. these days? Or has it been closed in favor of the ex-SP line?

David

Date: 05/03/05 09:41
Re: Does Parr yard in Reno still operate?
Author: DWBrown

Last year in July 2004 the northern part of the Reno Branch was full of stored TT flats and container well cars. I was there this March and all the cars were gone. Also this year the rails seemed like there was some evidence of movement. Yet, it could have been the sun angle. I never stopped to look closely. I think that Parr yard is being used by UP. Also the Reno Trench project had to relocate the lead to the Reno Branch. It is now alongside the trench, but at ground level. Some redesign of the curve near the old NCO depot was neccessary for the project.

Maybe someone from the Reno area could update us on the status? At one time the UP had made notice that they intended to abandoned the branch to Parr Yard from the north. The WP mainline wye had the NW switch removed several years ago. I was lucky several years ago to get a freight on the line.

Dale Brown

Date: 05/03/05 10:26
Author: donner_dude1

I just read off another message board that UP is working on reopening the north end of the Reno Branch.

Reno Branch LIVES! Seems UP is not serving the GM plant in Stead (Reno)
> fast enough from Sparks. Traffic to and from this plant will now be routed
> to Chilcoot on the FRC side via the Reno Branch. UP has placed the tracks
> back into service, the red flag is gone and a Tamper and Ballast Regulator
> have been working the branch in preparation for this new activity.

Date: 05/03/05 20:25
Author: LarryB

I've seen some maintenence activity on the line on my trips to and from Reno and wondered why. If UP was planning on reopening the line, why in the world did they take out part of the wye at Reno Junction a short time ago??? It would seem to me they would want access both eastbound AND westbound to the Winnemucca Sub unless all trains for the branch are coming from Portola.

LarryB @ mp308, UP Canyon Sub

Date: 05/04/05 10:04
Author: DWBrown

Probably had a engineering study that showed that removing the east wye switch was to make it safer for the mainline. Now it may be neccessary to restore it?

After all the line had been slated for closure and abandonment. So the wye was not needed. Now a lot of excess trackage that was abandoned in the past might be necessary today!!!!

Dale Brown

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds