Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Spokane to Bozeman

Date: 06/07/05 23:07
Spokane to Bozeman
Author: candyman

I have a business trip this summer and will be driving from Bozeman to Spokane. Any good internet sites that can help me out. Is this the MRL? Any must see spots? This will be my first time there.
Thanks
Candyman

Date: 06/08/05 08:14
Re: Spokane to Bozeman
Author: Alco251

If you take some time and drive Spokane-Missoula in an effort to follow the tracks, (via Sandpoint, Thompson Falls and Plains) you'll see my favorite parts of Montana Rail Link. It'll add an extra day to your drive.

If you must stay on the interstate, at least jump off the main road and explore the area around St. Regis, Mont. The remaining semaphores are in that area, there's some spectacular mountain scenery in the area and MRL's moderately busy.

From there to Missoula and on to Bozo you'll see plenty of MRL from the freeway.

Suggest you buy a DeLorme Montana map, an Altamont Press railfan timetable of the area, and Robert DelGross's guide to MRL.

Date: 06/08/05 09:03
Author: fbe

If you can break away from mettings in Bozeman in the afternoons while you are there, Livingston is just over the hill to the east. Grab a sandwich and drive the frontage road over the pass and shoot helper operations there.

Take the secondary road from Three Forks to Helena to follow the MRL. Lombard is off on a back road. After Helena, Mullan Pass is all dirt roads and slow. I-90 from Helena to Missoula. The off I-90 locations are a little confusing the way the interchanges are located. If you must see Bearmouth I can explain it later. West of Missoula it is I-90 again unless you want to see Evaro Hill where you will take Hwy 93 to Ravalli and US 200 from there. At Paradise the tracks from both lines follow 200 to Sandpoint or you go back to St Regis and I-90. From Trout Creek to Clark Fork, ID the tracks are across the river on dirt roads that are not always direct and time consuming if you are trying to get somewhere.

Bozeman to Helena is about 100 miles, Helena to Missoula is 120 miles, Missoula to St Regis is 75 miles via I-90, Missoula to Paradise on Hwy 93 is 100 miles, Paradise to Sandpoint on Hwy 200 is 120 miles. Paradise to St Regis and back to the interstate is about 20 miles. Sandpoint to Spokane is 70 or so non-direct miles and will be 90 minutes or more.

So it is how many days do you have to transit Bozeman to Spokane that will determine your chase. The most direct route of Bozeman, Helena, Missoula, St Regis, Spokane is about 320 miles and no trains west of St Regis. Probably allow 8-9 hours driving time for that route.

Date: 06/08/05 15:30
Author: truxtrax

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> snip< I-90 from Helena to Missoula. >snip<
Did they move that damn freeway again? Sheesh, I hate it when they do that, 'cause I really get confused! Sure hope they put it back where it was!

Butch,,,,,,here we go

Date: 06/08/05 17:13
Author: fbe

No movement of the Interstate, should have read I-90 Garrison to Missoula. I-90 Bozeman to Spokane if you are in a hurry but you will miss a lot of railroading that way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds