Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "All the facts" on the "abandoned train"

Date: 07/09/05 13:13
"All the facts" on the "abandoned train"
Author: TalkingTrains

Hello All,

Well, as a San Diegan I was totally fuming yesterday when I woke up to the news "Abandoned train left by crew with its engine running". As my co-host and rail said, the media is stupid.

If you want to find out what surrounded the incident and what really went on, feel free to check out the Lets Talk Trains show from today, Saturday, 9 July. Engineer Richard (me) rants at the San Diego news media for being so stupid and encouraging vandalizm and terrorism.

It wont be long before we start hearing how engines are broken into and vandalized by kids who now know that train engines are so easy to get into.

In the meantime, stay safe and have fun!

Richard
aka Engineer Richard
Lets Talk Trains
http://letstalktrains.us

Date: 07/09/05 13:45
Re:
Author: atsfman

It is sad that much of the media has been to Journalism classes, but can't relate to the real world. We have some like that on Kansas City TV stations. Sad part is, they just display their ignorance and don't even know it until someone writes a letter to the newspaper.

Bob

Date: 07/09/05 13:59
Re:
Author: RayH

I heard this "news story" twice yesterday on KNX. What a waste of air time! Obviously, the "reporter" didn't "investigate" anything about normal railroad operating practices.

Date: 07/09/05 15:33
Re: Re:
Author: kk5ol

It would probably take four busses full of terrorists to steal all of the idling trains in Houston. Of course if they actually got one moving they'd have about 1/4 mile to build up speed before hitting the next parked train.............;-\

RailNet802, over

Date: 07/09/05 16:14
Re: Journalists
Author: myoungwisc

Speaking as someone who graduated with a broadcast journalism degree, it is not that those in the media are not in tuned with the real word, it is that their paychecks and job security revolve around sensationalism. Why would anyone watch boring news?

Remember that Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry? Couldn't have said it better myself.

Martin

Date: 07/09/05 16:26
Author: mcdeo

I wonder how many officiers it took to 'guard' 44 cars? 1? 10? 30?

I guess the train is more important than the actual border.

Date: 07/09/05 16:50
Author: lrvto

Actually only 8 officers. A sgt and a captain even showed up.

Date: 07/09/05 18:30
Author: upkpfan

Who brought donuts? upkpfan

Date: 07/09/05 19:11
Author: ac6000king

upkpfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who brought donuts? upkpfan

and don't forget the coffee and the cigerettes too...we mustn't forget the hot beveredge's!

Date: 07/09/05 20:32
Author: cluallin

On Friday, one of the afternoon radio talk shows here in San Diego had a caller who reminded everyone that the terrorists who flew into the World Trade Towers, learned to fly using Microsoft Flight Simulator. Furthermore, he said, anyone can learn to drive a train by simply using Microsoft Train Simulator. Naturally, this only gave the talk show host more foder for his outrage that BNSF would do such a stupid thing as leave a unlocked running train in the city.

I wonder what they would say if they knew about all the UP trains parked between LA and El Paso earlier this year?

Enjoy. Cliff

Date: 07/09/05 21:38
Author: Nbetween

The thing is you have to tie the train down. they probably tied all the power and a few cars down. Now Microsoft doesnt show you everything. good show , everyone should listen to it.

Date: 07/10/05 09:37
Author: NI030

And maybe they are using Silver Streak as a training film.

"Keep your foot on the pedal!"

cluallin Wrote:
> On Friday, one of the afternoon radio talk shows
> here in San Diego had a caller who reminded
> everyone that the terrorists who flew into the
> World Trade Towers, learned to fly using Microsoft
> Flight Simulator. Furthermore, he said, anyone
> can learn to drive a train by simply using
> Microsoft Train Simulator. Naturally, this only
> gave the talk show host more foder for his outrage
> that BNSF would do such a stupid thing as leave a
> unlocked running train in the city.
>
> I wonder what they would say if they knew about
> all the UP trains parked between LA and El Paso
> earlier this year?
>
> Enjoy. Cliff
>
>
>
>

Date: 07/10/05 12:12
Re:
Author: JohnSweetser

Can someone provide a link to the original thread on this subject? (as a Heritage member, I can't presently access it)

Date: 07/10/05 19:29
Author: Anonymous User

JohnSweetser Wrote:
> Can someone provide a link to the original thread
> on this subject? (as a Heritage member, I can't
> presently access it)

https://shop.trainorders.com/secure/register.php

Date: 07/10/05 20:50
Re: Abonden trains
Author: buckeyetom

TalkingTrains Wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Well, as a San Diegan I was totally fuming
> yesterday when I woke up to the news "Abandoned
> train left by crew with its engine running". As my
> co-host and rail said, the media is stupid.
>
We had a similar incident to the one in San Diego last Labor Day weekend here in Fresno when BNSF parked an EB mainifest train on the Figarden with all three engines running. After about 24 hours, local residents called the Fresno Police who responded and found the engines were all accessable as well as running, they then contacted BNSF locally who respnded about 8 hours later. All in all, the train was there for 40+ hours before it was moved. Channel 24, our local NBC affiliate ran a 2 minute segment on the episode on the evening news later in the week. BNSF later issued an apology saying it was strictly against BNSF policy to leave idling engines in sidings for "extended" periods of time. The apology also included a 24/7 toll free number to report future violations. The number was given to local residents, Fresno City officials and Congressman George Radanovich's office who had also received complaint calls.

In June of this year, BNSF advised local officials that, due to the track blitz on the UP over the Tehachapi's in early summer, the possibility existed for extended stays in sidings along the Stockton Sub of the BNSF and reminded them again of the toll free numberfor reporting violations. The information appeared in the Fresno Bee. Here is a link to the story, it is the last item in the article.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/10603971p-11392272c.html

for those not wanting to register to read, here is the text of the article:

Tehachapi train project could interrupt Fresno traffic

A maintenance project being conducted on the Union Pacific rail line over the Tehachapi Mountains may result in scheduling delays that could see idling trains blocking street traffic in Fresno, according to the city.

A Monday news release said the city has been advised by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad that the maintenance project could affect Amtrak schedules and result in freight trains parking along rail sidings at various locations, including the Fig Garden siding located between Shaw Avenue and the Figarden Loop.

The city news release said that trains that are parked at sidings are not to idle for more than one hour. The train company also has established a toll-free number - (800) 832-5452 - that the public can use to report concerns or violations.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds