Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Building Track on Old Stapleton Airport Alignment

Date: 08/11/05 10:29
UP Building Track on Old Stapleton Airport Alignment
Author: cozephyr

August 2005 finds UP forces rebuilding the Kansas Pacific alignment where the Stapleton International Airport, Denver, CO, runway tunnels were located. A shoo-fly was placed in service on September 18, 2004 to the north which accommodated runway and highway tunnel demolition.

The new track on wooden ties is in place as of August 11, 2005. A switch needs to be cut in. A loaded 25-car ballast train with UP AC4400CW 6831, 6349 and SD40-2 3692 was tied down just east of the shoo-fly near milepost 632.6, Havana Street and Smith Road.

Smith Road is still not open to the public. It once was a through road before the Stapleton Airport runways were extended north. Hopefully, the old airport's redevelopment will see it rebuilt.

Date: 08/11/05 20:47
Re: UP Building Track on Old Stapleton Airport Alignmen
Author: CPB284

Hate to see the old tunnels go, I remember passing under them riding with my folks down I-70 when I was a kid. Stapleton is a very different place, although the Control Tower still stands and the UAL training center is still there so there is still a connection to it's great aviation history. Although I must admit, I am excited that they are putting in a Bass Pro on the site of the old cargo ramp, and the prospect of re-connecting Smith Rd.

Date: 08/15/05 05:53
New Alignment in Service
Author: cozephyr

The KP's straight as an arrow alignment has been restored where the Stapleton Tunnels once stood. Trackwork cutting in the new track lilely happened Friday or Saturday August 12th or 13, 2005. The shoo-fly to the north is out of service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0293 seconds