Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Rail Ports - what are they?

Date: 08/11/05 08:49
Rail Ports - what are they?
Author: YardEngine

Hello fellow Trainorders members!

Would you kindly provide me with feedback concerning rail ports/ railports?

Initially, I was looking for a definition. I thought rail ports were mostly for intermodal traffic, classification, etc. After having performed several Internet searches, it appears that my initial assumption may be incorrect (see this link for example: http://www.railport.com/real_estate/railport/railport.html ). I have also searched Trainorders archives, but have not found what I am looking for.

Therefore, if you can post any of the following about Rail Ports, I would appreciate it:
Documentation/references are especially what I'm looking for, but sharing an opinion is welcomed, too.

1. Definitions of rail ports
2. Links to web sites discussing rail ports
3. Any other ideas or references relating to rail ports

I have also posted this on the Eastern and International Discussion Lists.
Thank you!

Date: 08/11/05 09:04
Re: Rail Ports - what are they?
Author: dharris

Date: 08/11/05 10:07
Rail Ports - Denver Has Some
Author: cozephyr

Rocky Mountain Transload, Inc, operates a RailPort in Denver, Colorado. It uses part of the UP's North Yard on what the Denver & Rio Grande Western lads refer to as Hadley's (auto unloading operation once located on west side of North Yard). Rocky Mountain Transload has operated since 1994. They operate four rail facilities including BNSF. The North Yard operation is located just north of West 52nd Avenue.

Rocky Mountain Transload, Inc, claims it was Union Pacific’s first Rail Port in the US.
They also operate two sand terminals for Unimin.

The facilities offer non rail-served customers an opportunity to take advantage of a multi-modal transportation alternative which can accommodate bulk hopper or tank cars, flatcars and boxcars.

Date: 08/11/05 12:59
Re: Rail Ports - Silver Bow Has one
Author: fbe

See the story here:

www.portofmontana.org

It was formerly located in Butte and was called the Port of Butte for a while.

Date: 08/11/05 15:10
Author: spdesertdog

sounds alot like a "Team track" yes/no?

Date: 08/11/05 15:27
Author: catalantalgo

Basically it is designed to offer several different material handling alternatives at one location, simpflifying operations for the railroad and giving multiple resources in one location for customers. It allows non rail-served customers to use rail, allows smaller shippers and receivers to handle surges or outsource their rail business and can provide efficiencies to shippers who can ship railcars in for transload and truck delivery to multiple customers.
Could also include a team track.

Date: 08/11/05 15:53
Author: fbe

Originally, the Port of Butte was established to create employment within Butte's depressed economy and to move containers out of Pacific Coast ports where it is congested and do the Customs inspections farther inland. I guess it worked pretty well for a time but the Port of Montana has expanded into a broader business base.

Date: 08/11/05 19:57
Re: Rail Ports - what are they?
Author: czephyr17

The Railport referenced by the link in your original thread is nothing more than a "run of the mill" rail served industrial park owned by TXI Real Estate out of Dallas. They are tenants for several major distribution facilities such as Toy's R Us and Target, where products are brought in by rail or truck, then distributed by truck to retail outlets throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Frankly, I think most product is brought in by truck that often arrives at one of the regular intermodal ramps in town (such as BNSF's Alliance facility), then is driven to the warehouse at the Railport Industrial park.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0635 seconds