Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Steam & Excursion > Narrow Gage Steam In Finland and the USA

Date: 10/30/05 06:45
Narrow Gage Steam In Finland and the USA
Author: GPutz

EBT #15 is in steam at Rockhill, PA, on 10/9/05. There's more steam from Finland, too, at:

http://members.trainorders.com/gputz

Gerry

Date: 10/31/05 15:55
Re: Narrow Gage Steam In Finland and the USA
Author: mirage

Gerry, could you _please_ give us a clue where the Finnish pictures are on your site so we don't have to wade through every picture you've posted?

Date: 10/31/05 17:46

The Finnish pictures are on the "Europe" page. Gerry

Date: 11/01/05 20:00
Author: mirage

Gerry, Great pictures of the Finnish VR trains! We were there a couple years ago, but our train travel was limited to the Helsinki metro area. I couldn't tell from the pictures, but is the Finnish system the broad 5-foot gauge used by the Russians? Do the Finns interchange with anyone other than Russia? And, if you know, is any of their rail equipment Russian built? (Sorry to pester you on this, but it's almost impossible to find models of Russian railroad equipment, and if the Finns are/were using Russian equipment, perhaps they (the Finns) would be a source of Russian-prototype models.)

TIA, Mark J

Date: 11/02/05 05:36

mirage, I don't know about the model business; but the VR gage is 1524 mm or 5 feet. Many freight cars are interchanged with the Russian railway, and there are three daily passenger trains between Helsinki and St. Petersburg, one of which continues to Moscow. The VR class Sr1 motors (except for the two built in Finland from Russian prototype bodies) carry plates on one side that state in English: "Made in USSR." I have not seen models of them. VR also inchanges with the Swedish Railway at Tornio, Finland, the north end of the Bay of Bothnia, with truck exchange there. I have also learned that rail cars are delivered by ship from Germany and Sweden to Turku, Finland, and trucks are exchanged there. This may also occur at the ports of Hanko and Kotka. Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds