Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Steam & Excursion > Erie, NYC, B&A and L&HR steam

Date: 04/08/06 23:12
Erie, NYC, B&A and L&HR steam
Author: choochoocharlie

Still more of my Father's 4X5 negs.

1 - Erie Pacific #2320 and a slight5 mishap. Not a great photo, but an interesting photo. To quote the notes on the negative sleeve, "crew attempting to put engine on turntable, missed dropped tender into turntable pit. Wrecker just arrived to pull tender out." Steam crane #03297 and flat car #03082. At Suffern, New York, north of station on August 6, 1947. Have seen several photos of similar situations like this on other railroads.
2 - Another shot near Chelsea, New York it looks like. New York Central Niagara #6008 pulls a southbound passenger train. Supposedly on April 7, 1946. Note on sleeve says "Stamford railfan excursion". Can this be so?

Date: 04/08/06 23:24
Re: Erie, NYC, B&A and L&HR steam

1 - Boston and Albany 0-8-0 switcher working.
2 - Another shot of a Lehigh and Hudson River 4-8-2 #12 at Maybrook New York on October 10, 1948.
3 - Sort of another bonus shot of my Father and I with some HO model trains belonging to my Father. The engine is an 0-4-0 camelback and I am wearing an engineers cap that was made for me by the NYNH&H employees at the Waterbury, Connecticut yard. I guess one my size could not be acquired back then, so one was made to fit me. (My first downsizing.) Still have that hat and my son David also wore it when he was a young railfan............... C.C.Chas.

Date: 04/08/06 23:34

P.S.: Here's a shot of David wearing that hat at the Summit of Cajon Pass as an Eastbound Santa Fe freight goes by............. C.C.Chas.

Date: 04/09/06 06:10
Author: Frisco1522

Priceless stuff CCC, thanks for a break from the usual and a trip back into my era.

Date: 04/09/06 07:33
Author: Nitehostler

Always appreciate your great black & whites...especially with people in them. Many thanks.

Tom

Date: 04/09/06 09:49
Author: samreeves

Great photos! Even west coasters can appreciate the old NYC.

Sam Reeves
—
http://www.samreevesphoto.com

Date: 04/09/06 14:53
Author: nycman

Oh, boy, that's all great, Charlie. "My first downsizing"-- I love it. Your dad liked those Niagaras, didn't he? I didn't realize that the 4-8-2 had a PT tender.

Date: 04/09/06 20:01
Author: prr4828

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't realize that the 4-8-2 had a PT tender.

IIRC, that L&HR mountain was built to B&M specs (or is it ex B&M?). On the Minuteman route, it was class R1d.

The tender was centipede, though I doubt calling it a PT is entirely correct. The PT's were lower, with a longer overhang aft of the 7th axle than other roads' Centipede tenders. I imagine the tenders had a name on the B&M, I just can't recall what it might be. Anyone else know?

* JB *

Date: 04/09/06 22:28
Author: xtra1188w

Though it's not Rio Grande, it's still great stuff ChooChooChas. <BG> I especially liked the one of you and your dad when you were little. I think that you and I are close to the same age, and I had similar experiences with my dad and at about the same times.

Con

Date: 04/10/06 11:35
Author: pwh

Charlie thanks for the photos,esp. the Niagara powered train at Chelsea. Did your father ever go north about one mile to the draw bridges over the Wappingers Creek which were controlled by tower SS54 at New Hamburg?

Please keep the photos coming.

Date: 04/10/06 22:55

Not really sure where he, and probably my Mother and I went for railroad photography. Still a ton of those big negatives to go thru though. Should be some more interesting shots for me and all of you who enjoy viewing them. And especially love the help you TO guys give me in filling in some blank spaces on some of those negative sleeves. Thanks a bunch............ C.C.Chas.

Date: 04/12/06 13:36
Author: BaltoJoey

pwh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charlie thanks for the photos,esp. the Niagara
> powered train at Chelsea. Did your father ever go
> north about one mile to the draw bridges over the
> Wappingers Creek which were controlled by tower
> SS54 at New Hamburg?
>
> Please keep the photos coming.

A bit of trivia. In the WC Fields' movie, "It's A Gift." Wappingers Falls is the name of the town where the story starts. However, the scriptwriter (WC Fields) placed it in New Jersey. I presume that was done for legal purposes. WC (Bill) Fields had a penchant for odd sounding names. For this film he used the nom de plume of Charles Bogle.

BaltoJoey<<< AKA--Mahatma Kane Jeeves

Date: 04/12/06 16:06
Author: jbwest

Said it before, will say it again. Great stuff. Keep it coming!

John West

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds