Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Steam & Excursion > US Plywood (2-6-6-2)

Date: 06/08/07 20:35
US Plywood (2-6-6-2)
Author: M-420

This rather gritty shot is from 79. It's US Plywood #11 when it was running in the Snoqualmie Valley in 79. It was the first articulated steam engine I ever saw running and I enjoyed seeing it when it was still running for the Puget Sound Railway Historical Association.

I'd appreciate hearing from someone who might know what the status of this locomotive is. I saw it had been cosmetically restored. Is there any chance that it'll ever run again?

Date: 06/09/07 05:00
Re: US Plywood (2-6-6-2)
Author: JimPoston

No. 11 is on display at the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie and North Bend, WA. The photo is from late March 2007.

She's in good shape cosmetically; I don't know about her potential for operation, or if the Museum has plans to get her running again.

The NRM is about an hour east of Seattle and is worth the trip - so much so that I'm now a (long-distance) member!

Check out http://www.trainmuseum.org/ for more.

Date: 06/09/07 06:59
Author: rdcalldude

JimPoston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No. 11 is on display at the Northwest Railway
> Museum in Snoqualmie and North Bend, WA. The
> photo is from late March 2007.
>
> She's in good shape cosmetically; I don't know
> about her potential for operation, or if the
> Museum has plans to get her running again.
>
> The NRM is about an hour east of Seattle and is
> worth the trip - so much so that I'm now a
> (long-distance) member!
>
> Check out http://www.trainmuseum.org/ for more.

Quote from their website:

Phase one restoration of #11 has returned the locomotive to its 1956 appearance. Over 2,000 hours of work was performed by volunteers from the Northwest Railway Museum and the Snoqualmie Valley Chamber of Commerce and included cleaning, sash and door replication, replacement of several missing features, painting and lettering. The project was guided by six Museum Volunteers who contributed over 150 hours each: Dale Campbell, Richard Wilkens, Dan Calhoun, Dick Huntamer, Martin Nemerever, and Ralf Sampson.

The second phase of restoration will return the locomotive to operation and will begin upon completion of the Museum’s planned new collection care facility, the Conservation and Restoration Center. This $1.8 million project is slated for construction beginning this year.

Locomotive 11, built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1926, is a 104-ton steam locomotive with two separate engines under one boiler, a locomotive type commonly utilized on logging railroads throughout the Northwest. Locomotive #11 was retired in 1961 and is now owned by Washington State Parks. It was moved to Snoqualmie in 1972 and is on long-term loan to the Northwest Railway Museum.

Date: 06/10/07 21:08
Author: SD45X

5-20-07

Date: 06/10/07 21:09
Author: SD45X

And the "tender".

Date: 06/11/07 08:55
Author: CPRR

Great looking loco and museum site. Hope they get her restored.

Date: 06/11/07 11:24
Author: Savannah_Atlanta750

Nice longbell Hancock! Strange whistle for a western logging engine, but I like it...

Date: 06/12/07 05:52
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

Here is a shot of #11 in service at Amboy, WA in the early 1950's. She started life as Ostrander Ry & Lumber #7 at Ostrander, WA and was a 2-6-6-2T. She was transfered to Weyerheauser Timber at Klamath Falls, OR as ther #5 and had the tanks cut down and the tender added. She then went to Kosmos Timber as thier #11 at Amboy, WA who later sold out to U.S. Plywood.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.18 seconds