Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Steam & Excursion > The UK's A1 Peppercorn

Date: 10/30/08 13:27
The UK's A1 Peppercorn
Author: livesteamer

I know that this should be on the international forum but because it deals with steam, I am trying here. Our friends across the "big pond" have built from scratch an A1 Peppercorn class steam locomotive. I am looking for some video of any of the test runs. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 10/30/08 13:32
Re: The UK's A1 Peppercorn

I am replying to my own message; just had to go to youtube and do a search for A1 peppercorn.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 10/30/08 20:19
Author: Finderskeepers

Just go to http://a1steam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=127

if this doesn't work, go to A1steam.com and go to "in the media"

Date: 10/31/08 08:25
Author: OKTrainboys

They have their own web page too! Google A1 Tornado
She is a twenty year dream come true.

Date: 10/31/08 09:08
Author: I5464J3

I thought this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1078643/Full-steam-ahead-Our-science-editor-takes-controls--giant-locomotive-built-50-years.html

was very well written. Anyone could read this a get a good idea of what the A1 is all about.

It also works for the railfan showing how it is done on the footplate...er cab of the locomotive.

Also it was just a fun, good read.

Date: 10/31/08 14:55
Author: nycman

Jolly well done, eh wot? Good article. I'm jealous, and would love to get a chance to run the Tornado.

Date: 10/31/08 15:18

We Yanks need to remember that this engine is not a replica of the A1 Class but rather our Brits friends consider her to be a continuation of the original construction line that simply had a break of more than 60 years. It would be like building a brand new NYC Hudson or other class engine that all previously examples had been scrapped.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 11/01/08 06:06
Author: NYCSTL8

So, when will we colonists begin construction of J3a 5455?

Date: 11/01/08 07:58
Author: Keystone1

Just AFTER we build a new Pennsy T-1.

Date: 11/01/08 08:35
Author: firefighter25dfd

I do not understand why everyone thinks we have to build a new locomotive when there are plenty out there that are restored or in good condition to restore. Donate your money to the 261, 4449, 3751, 765 or other groups to help them keep steam alive. Building a new locomotive here in the US will never happen, lets support whats out there now!!

Date: 11/01/08 09:50

I think another reason that needs to be to addressed with the success our Brit friends experience in their preservation movement is the fact that steam can run almost everywhere throughout Great Britain. Our main line steam must fight to get out on the main lines of the major freight carriers (I understand fully their reluctance to allow steam on the main line). Our British counterparts do not have near the problems with running main line steam I would suggest a quick look at any of the major Brit rail magazines that Barnes and Noble or Borders carries to see what is going on with British main line excursions on most weekends.

I, too, second the idea that we (in the States) need to support the engines we have and not worry about building something from scratch.

Marty Harrison

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 11/01/08 14:28
Author: okieinexile

I'd like to see, as a long term goal, some sort of American organization build a scratch-built mainline steamer. But, I also agree that we need to first make the most of the existing steamers. There's quite a few that could potentially be running now, like the N&W 611, B&O 614, and Frisco 1522 and others. I think our biggest obstacles now are host railroads and insurance.

With that being said, the time to start is now! A group of people in the USA and Canada should get together and at least start some long-range planning. Where can a new-build steamer be built here in the USA? Who could manufacture the parts? Locomotive boilers and frames are not exactly small and easily built. What regulatory requirements would need to be met? What design would be used? Personally, I'm a fan of the 4-8-4, but another type like the 4-6-2 might be more buildable and maintainable. Do we use coal or oil? Or could we go "green" with some sort of alternative fuel? Just some food for thought.

It can be done, it's just a matter of willpower.

Mark
W5MLR
Lebanon, OK

Date: 11/02/08 03:51
Author: SJH

firefighter25dfd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not understand why everyone thinks we have to
> build a new locomotive when there are plenty out
> there that are restored or in good condition to
> restore. Donate your money to the 261, 4449, 3751,
> 765 or other groups to help them keep steam alive.
> Building a new locomotive here in the US will
> never happen, lets support whats out there now!!

I absolutely agree with you, but given the realistic time-frame for building a new locomotive (from concept to first steam-up -- and the 10-15 years in between!) I can think of two pretty good reasons. First, like it or not we're using up and losing the "historic" fabric of our current steam fleet, and second, we need to re-educate ourselves on how to build one new.

Heck, it's not as if building one new steam locomotive is going close the door on restoring and operating what's already here, it just needs to be done for the future health of the steam community. I really do hope it's only a matter of time before a group (or perhaps several like-minded groups) form an A-1 style collaboration in order to scratch build a new, mainline engine.

Date: 11/02/08 07:02
Author: okieinexile

OOOPS! Looks like I mixed up the B&O and C&O! Either way, the 614's a fine loco that needs to run again!

M

Date: 11/02/08 17:20
Author: Abqfoamer

Don't forget the ATSF 4-8-4 2926 being rebuilt in Abq!

Date: 11/03/08 23:13
Author: Got_Steam

Right on. First, we need to move our steamers into the 21st century and pacify the tree-huggers. I love the environment and I hate pollution. What good is a great steamer if there's no nice scenery to run in? There are a very few new locomotives being built right now. One is the "new" V&T Lyon. Very impressive project. I especially like to see park engines rescued and brought back to life. Rumor has it there might be a new SP 10 wheeler on the scene in a few years.....

Date: 11/08/08 05:43
Author: howeld

While I may care about the environment one engine can blow all the black smoke it wants and not make much of an effect. However if a new engine was built would it have to be Tier 1,2,3ect compliant or would it hopefully be considered historical like all steamers are now?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.088 seconds