Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Steam & Excursion > Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch - Vid from The Guardian

Date: 11/20/10 07:01
Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch - Vid from The Guardian
Author: PumpkinHogger

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2010/apr/22/train-captain-sensible-kent-railway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/10 07:02 by PumpkinHogger.

Date: 11/20/10 11:35
Re: Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch - Vid from The Guardian
Author: RNinRVR

Very interesting. I have read a lot about the RH&D but this is the first video I have seen.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 11/20/10 18:27
Author: livesteamer

Absolutely a wonderful little railroad that transcends international borders. The RH&D is a real world transport system and not a tourist ride-used by Brit school kids to get to school. Rode the railroad back when I was stationed with US Air Force in late 1980s. Very railfan (trainspotter) friendly.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 11/20/10 18:57
Author: va3cp

My first ride was at 13 months, that would be 63 years ago. My father was in a suit and mum was in her Sunday best.
I have a picture somewhere of my father sitting on the coal pile in the tender holding me as a baby.
Got to see and ride the RH&D a few times before immigrating to Canada in 1957.
Nice to see the video. Brings back memories....

Regards..

Dave Burroughs
Hamilton, ON

Date: 11/21/10 18:31
Author: trainrider47

The RH&D railway rosters 8 Pacifics, 2 Mountains, 1 0-4-0 and 2 Diesels. All are maintained to an exceptionally high standard. The attached photos are of #7 "Typhoon" which was built in 1927. Just short of 28 feet long and weighing 8 1/2 long tons, Typhoon is a serious machine. Unusual for a British locomotive, it is equipped with a full sized Crosby three chime whistle, visible just ahead of the cab.

I was fortunate to get a footplate ride (cab ride) three years ago and was amazed to find that two people can sit side by side in the front of the tender. On the double track section between New Romney and Hythe, we hit 25 mph and the driver said they could do 30 mph, but were currently restricted to 25 mph due to ongoing track work. At 1/3 scale, 30 actual mph is 90 scale mph!

Photo #1 is Typhoon at New Romney station, ready to head for Hythe.
Photo #2 is on board Typhoon, between New Romney and Dymchurch.
Photo #3 is Typhoon at speed, near Dymchurch on the return trip from Hythe.

Michael Allen

Date: 11/23/10 01:24
Author: Labby

Hello Everyone,

Three years ago I purchased a video from the RH&DR website. It runs for about two hours and is called RH&DR Cab Ride. It was a PAL release but plays on any computer that I have loaned it to. A video based on a cab ride may sound boring but this video is quite entertaining. I have watched it on more than one occasion. Contributor Mike Allen has seen it and could attest to this. Highly recommend it if you have any interest in the RH&DR.

Labby

Date: 11/25/10 17:59
Author: SPGP9

Thanks for the posts. I watched this and really enjoyed it. Never knew this little railroad existed. Very nice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds