Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Steam & Excursion > Need help identifying a engine and railroad

Date: 04/18/11 16:58
Need help identifying a engine and railroad
Author: hartrick24

Hello,
A buddy of mine recently acquired this photo from an antique shop. He knew I liked trains so he brought it to me to identify. I am more knowledgeable in modern stuff, so I need some help. On the back of the photo it "looks" like it reads:
"Taken May 30, 1913 at pulse/pike(?) Redding, CA.

At first it looked like Reading, PA, so it could very well be in PA. It is hard to read on the back.

I believe it is a 2-8-0, but I am unsure. Anyone know the type of engine, and if possible the RR?? I don't see any reporting marks other than the loco number and the last car something ends with a "V" and below the car # ends in 21. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Date: 04/18/11 17:18
Re: Need help identifying a engine and railroad
Author: em1firemen

my guesses are cnj or erie that i know of but im not sure
maybe(slim)DLW?

Date: 04/18/11 17:19
Author: LoggerHogger

This is an early Reading Railroad 2-8-0 of the I-8 class.

2-8-0 I-8 117 1501-1617 1905-1914 Baldwin & Reading Below is a shot of one modernized with piston valves.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/11 17:30 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/18/11 17:22
Author: hartrick24

Thanks Martin!

Date: 04/18/11 17:38
Author: LarryDoyle

Modernized...

Piston valves and a second one-lung air pump!

I Love It.

-Larry Doyle

Date: 04/19/11 05:12
Author: detiley

"Pike" was a location within the Reading RR yard in Reading, PA. and was the point where the East Penn branch (Reading to Allentown) entered the Phila-Pottsville mainline. The background in the photo is consistent with that location and date of the photo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds