Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Steam & Excursion > Southern 4501 Update

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/25/11 10:00
Southern 4501 Update
Author: Phil

While visiting TVRM on May 20th I managed to see the 4501 getting the inside of its boiler sand blasted. The backhead of the boiler has been removed and will be replaced with a new backhead.

Date: 05/25/11 10:32
Re: Southern 4501 Update
Author: CarNutandTrainNut2

Glad to see her getting some TLC....

Date: 05/25/11 10:52
Re: Southern 4501 Update

More pics of the 4501s firebox after the sand blasting was completed.

Date: 05/25/11 10:59
Re: Southern 4501 Update Smokebox Pics

Some pics taken of 4501s smokebox showing the front flue sheet, exhaust nozzle, superheater header and steam delivery pipes. These were taken shortly before the 4501 was moved back inside the TVRM shop.

Date: 05/25/11 11:05
Re: Southern 4501 -- Cab Work

Here's a couple shots of 4501's cab and the metal work that's being done to it.

Date: 05/25/11 11:46
Re: Southern 4501 -- Inside TVRM Shop

The 4501 is retrived by a TVRM geep and moved back inside the shop. Its apotted next to the ex Southern E8 also undergoing a restoration.

Date: 05/25/11 13:06
Author: DRGWMark

Glad to see some progress! I've never seen her in action, so I'm looking forward to finally doing so.
Here's a shout out to TVRM and Norfolk Southern for bringing her back to life yet again!
See ya soon, 4501!
Mark H.

Date: 05/25/11 13:47
Author: tomstp

Man, they are talking big bucks on 4501. Where are they getting all the money?

Date: 05/25/11 13:53
Author: YG

Great to see progress like this, and thanks to all involved in the effort!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 05/25/11 14:04
Author: 2839Canadian

When will the work be completed?

Date: 05/25/11 14:32
Author: WauhopM

You think the 611 Might be next?

Date: 05/25/11 16:41
Author: Frisco1522

Doesn't all that grit get into the bearings? After we sandblasted 1522's boiler, even with everything covered we were finding little pockets of sand all over.
Couple of weekends and she'll be ready for the hydro.

Date: 05/25/11 16:51
Author: wcamp1472

Hey,

Is Bubba REALLY blasting that boiler without a sandblast hood?
That stuff is going down his neck, shirt, face, nostrils!
I really can't believe it! Look at picture 3 really closely!

That's what gives museums a bad name! Come ON!
We've ALL got a stake in safer behavior!
This don't help.

Even Larry, the Cable Guy, has more sense!

No Thank you!

Wes Camp1472

Date: 05/25/11 17:57
Author: newriver400

Wes,

My father is an industrial coatings contractor and has done a reasonable amount of work for his son's real home in Chattanooga, but his business is such that he is hard pressed to get smaller jobs like this scheduled and mobilized. I have NEVER, EVER seen anyone grit blasting anything without a fresh air hood (except in a blast cabinet) and frankly it's probably illegal per OSHA.

I will say, however, that this is a contractor and NOT TVRM personnel. They have a rather stellar safety record in mechanical and operations both. Though this was done within distant site of the shop, it is really hidden and not immediately visible to supervision who are working in the shop. My guess is the locomotive was set out on the spur and left for the contractor. When he was finished, he came back to the shop and let them know and they went and switched it back into place.

HOWEVER, I'm not so sure he wasn't finishing up the process and just blowing the spent media out. The fresh air hood on the ground next to the sand pot indicates to me that he was doing just that, so it's not as bad as it looks. I would have probably put my hood back on to do this, but goggles and a dust mask are really all that's necessary to blow the sand out. On second thought, I would have hooked up the hose and washed it out while adding a rust inhibitor to the water - a much better proposition and a cleaner surface to work around for the shop guys.

Frisco1522,
I've heard this before, but frankly, think about the dust and grime from being on the road, the sanders, coal dust, cinders sucked into cylinders (not all engineers are the best at "drifting" the locomotive), and other stuff that gets flushed every time the locomotive is greased. Further, I am quite certain that she will be getting attention in the running gear department (at least 6 crown brasses need replaced and journals turned), so I don't think it's a concern. Yes, sandblasting makes a mess, but sometimes it's really the only way to get what you need in terms of clean metal to inspect and work with.

Best,
Mike
Waiting anxiously to put her little feet down the path again...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/11 23:23 by newriver400.

Date: 05/25/11 18:07
Author: newriver400

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man, they are talking big bucks on 4501. Where
> are they getting all the money?

Though we are obviously spending some $, TVRM does generally manage to be extremely good at controlling costs and the ability to do almost everything in house when it come to steam locomotive repair helps greatly.

Date: 05/25/11 20:01
Author: MH2198

Always a good sign. Won't be too much longer before a steam-up, hopefully!

Date: 05/26/11 01:42
Author: IC_2024

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey,
>
> Is Bubba REALLY blasting that boiler without a
> sandblast hood?
> That stuff is going down his neck, shirt, face,
> nostrils!
> I really can't believe it! Look at picture 3
> really closely!
>
> That's what gives museums a bad name! Come ON!
> We've ALL got a stake in safer behavior!
> This don't help.
>
> Even Larry, the Cable Guy, has more sense!
>
> No Thank you!
>
> Wes Camp1472

I agree completely. Over the years, I've noticed some very unsafe practices (contractors or not) by people who take shortcuts and compromise their own safety. Then, there's a huge crisis as they develop lung problems like sarcoidosis for example and they experience respiratory difficulties for the rest of their lives. This is very serious and these photos need to be kept as evidence in the event of a lawsuit or other trouble down the line. Also, this man needs to be counseled about proper safety equipment for the job.

Date: 05/26/11 02:28
Author: patd3985

Yah, I did that sorta thing in my youth as a boilermaker/ blacksmith & welder before OSHA, (not that I'm a real good friend of theirs), and trust me, I'm paying for it now with: (1) bad lungs from not wearing respirators. (2) Tinnitus from not wearing ear plugs in the trade. (3) Pins, plates and screws from not paying attention to the work hazards. It ain't fun now that I'm 65 and have trouble getting around these last few years!

Date: 05/26/11 05:15

My friend and I had the same thoughts about the contractor employee not wearing enough personal protection equipment or PPE. Wearing a dust mask is OK but he should have worn a full head covering since he was that close to the area being sand blasted.

Phil

Date: 05/26/11 22:41
Author: OKTrainboys

Thanks for posting these pics....great job and views....What a honey she is!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.067 seconds