Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP 4-6-0 Hit by Earthquake

Date: 09/17/11 08:06
SP 4-6-0 Hit by Earthquake
Author: PERichardson

SP #2248 at San Fernando, CA after the Sylmar Earthquake. 2/22/71. G. Glattenberg photo, Alan Miller collection. This engine went on to a long career in tourist train service in Ft. Worth, TX where I think it still operates.

Date: 09/17/11 08:47
Re: SP 4-6-0 Hit by Earthquake
Author: LoggerHogger

Good shot of her in an interesting "pose". Here she is in happier (and upright) times. This view shows her in her famous roll as one of SP's fire train engines. Guy L. Dunscomb took this photo of her on July 3, 1939 at the roundhouse in Truckee, CA.

Martin

Date: 09/17/11 09:10
Author: PERichardson

Gotta love all the piping, pumps, etc. Would make a good Accucraft model.

Date: 09/17/11 15:12
Author: nycman

That gives you some idea of the intensity of that quake. We lived in Lancaster at the time and felt it big time. Think about how much power it takes to roll a steam locomotive over, standing still.

Date: 09/17/11 17:51
Author: switchlamp

At the time the engine was owned by Chas. T Brown and was sitting in his equipment yard with all his heavy construction equipment so picking it up was no big deal. There was also some narrow guage SP cars from the owens valley that he had. Thanks to the man and his resources many artifacts were saved. There was also a big Vicorian house on the property along with his offices. One day when we were kids my brother and I went there and he and his wife were very nice people.

Date: 09/17/11 19:33
Author: WAF

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That gives you some idea of the intensity of that
> quake. We lived in Lancaster at the time and felt
> it big time. Think about how much power it takes
> to roll a steam locomotive over, standing still.

It was near the epicenter

Date: 09/17/11 20:18
Author: nomosantafe

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SP #2248 at San Fernando, CA after the Sylmar
> Earthquake. 2/22/71. G. Glattenberg photo, Alan
> Miller collection. This engine went on to a long
> career in tourist train service in Ft. Worth, TX
> where I think it still operates.

Grapevine Vintage Railroad's former SP 2248 is out of service with a damaged cylinder. This is the second time in the last couple of years that they have had this problem. I haven't heard when or if the engine will return to service.

1. Here is a photo taken on March 3, 2010 after repairs had been made the first time

2. GVRR 2248 crossing the Trinity River 12/30/2005 The Tarrant County Courthose in background was built in 1895, a year before the 2248.

Nomosantafe
Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West Begins"

Date: 09/18/11 08:04
Author: wingomann

It's too bad that they and the Texas State railroad don't paint their locomotives in an original scheme.
It's no big thing but it would be my personal preference.

Date: 09/19/11 12:32
Author: Kimball

I remember seeing it there (upright) on San Fernando Road or maybe Glenoaks Blvd. in the early 70's when riding my 10 speed. Good to know it ran again, at least!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds