Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Steam & Excursion > Back When SLO Still had a Turntable. . .

Date: 06/04/12 21:59
Back When SLO Still had a Turntable. . .
Author: africansteam

. . .it was used for turning the helper that would be needed to assist the Coast Daylight over La Cuesta the following morning. Here, SD-40R 7342 has been turned towards Company headquarters to act as a surrogate for a long gone MT-4 helper on the returning Worlds Fair Daylight on June 20, 1984.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 06/04/12 22:58
Re: Back When SLO Still had a Turntable. . .
Author: 7230west

Those were the days. I thought they'd never end.

Date: 06/05/12 07:08
Author: BNSF7400

Great shots Jack, thanks for sharing.

Date: 06/05/12 10:01
Author: wjpyper

And here it is in August, 1987, not long before its removal.

Date: 06/05/12 16:46
Author: czuleget

My brother and I were on the trip from Los Angeles to San Fransisco and it was a great trip.

Date: 06/05/12 18:48
Author: OKTrainboys

Thanks Jack, love the photos.... More of the Daylight with matching set, please!!

Date: 06/07/12 10:53
Author: Arved

africansteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... surrogate for a long gone MT-4 helper ...

MT-4? I always had the impression F-4 (2-10-2s) were used for helpers over Cuesta. The MTs were used over Tahachapi on the San Joaquin Daylight.

Date: 06/10/12 19:42
Author: DNRY122

Back in 1959, I went to the SP San Luis Obispo yard to get photos of the roundhouse. This quest was interrupted by the sight of a steam locomotive traveling "dead in train" in the middle of an eastbound freight. I used up the last shots on my roll of film on the engine, which was SP 4460. The engine messenger said it was "going to a museum in St. Louis." Next time I was in the SP SLO yard was in 1967, and the roundhouse was long gone. I would presume that someone on TO has photos of it and can post them. In 1975, when SP 4449 was getting so much attention, I never saw a peep in the railfan press about 4460. I suppose St. Louis was far enough away from most SP fans to make photos and comments rather scarce, also, 4460 was on static display with little likelihood of returning to operation. Finally, 48 years later, I got a look at 4460, which is on display (and under shelter) at the Museum of Transportation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds