Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Steam & Excursion > 844 farther up the FW&D

Date: 11/03/12 19:00
844 farther up the FW&D
Author: SD45X

Well, they were late into Amarillo, so I went looking. Found them at Claude,TX in the middle of some road work. Chased back and east of Kasota, the traffic. They would slow for a meet at Kasota, and so would the traffic, even the fast lane. Surprised no Semi-sandwichs occured.

Amarillo was packed. Everybody was there and they were chasing all the way through town. It was a mess at the depot, according to the special agent. So, a little luck at West Tower as she crossed over off the Red River Valley sub to the Dalhart sub. Five cars roared up, note the nose. Oh well.

So I went with my gut and found a nice secluded spot with nose light, and two kids found it, parked so I couldn't get out and one wore white....Virgin indeed, chasing trains. Over the last car are the spots...So much for a full page in Trains... Great job Zach, you too Drew.

Date: 11/03/12 19:06
Re: 844 farther up the FW&D
Author: SD45X

A fresh pilot crew at Dalhart,TX and they were off!! UP over the UP.

Sunlight at last!! Perico,TX.

Texline,TX. Had to wait for the looky-loos to leave. Never saw so many dark side pictures and cell phones in my life on this chase. One good thing came of it, I'm deaf now. Whats with 844s whistle? That the one off a Big Boy? Never heard it before. Oh well, now I can ignore the wife for real:)

Tomorrow should be fun.

Date: 11/03/12 20:58
Author: degilchr

Will those Texas flags come off before passing into Colorado?

Don G

Date: 11/04/12 06:07
Author: jfrank39

That third picture from up on the hill is great. Where is the rest of the train? Did it take a diff route? When it went through Navasota the other nine cars were being run as a second section with the MKT heritage diesel pulling it.

Hope someone is chasing it today over Trinchera Pass.

Date: 11/04/12 08:14
Author: VERNON1946

NICE*

V-E-R-Y NICE*

I especially liked, "UP 844" crossing the tracks, right to left, and the night-shot photo!

Good Work!

Thanks...

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/12 16:43 by VERNON1946.

Date: 11/04/12 08:46
Author: UPTRAIN

You did good man. I'm with you on the dark side shots and the cell phones. Why even bother? Then they look at your pictures from the sun side and say "wow your shots came out great, mine are all ______ ..." (choose one: blurry, dark, blown out). Well no s***, you're taking pictures of the thing from 12 feet away (or worse yet, through a pole line or something) with an auto mode iPhone looking directly into the sun of a black locomotive doing 50 MPH. Some people just don't get it.

Oh, and thanks. Never figured when I was flipping through back issues of Trains as a kid in the early 90s that I would ever have a photo in there, let alone two in the same issue. Pretty cool.

Pump

Date: 11/04/12 14:49
Author: amtrak34east

Thanks SD45X, you were there that day too! Remember we shot the train in the heavy rain, turned around and left, and then noticed a few miles down the road the sun was about to come out. So we turned around and went back to the train, and were like kids in a candy store with the great storm light, double rainbow, and mammatus clouds that were on the backside of that storm! Too bad the outflow on the backside of the storm was blowing rain onto our lenses when the full rainbow was over the train!

Drew Mitchem
Centralia, WA

Date: 11/04/12 17:30
Author: UPTRAIN

amtrak34east Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...were like kids in a candy store with...double rainbow...backside...outflow...backside...blowing

Dang, Drew, all I did was delete a few words...

Pump

Date: 11/04/12 17:41
Author: amtrak34east

You are a bad man Pump....BAAAA-A-A-A-AAAAAD! LOL

Drew Mitchem
Centralia, WA

Date: 11/05/12 20:56
Author: gman1

glad to see you got out to see it Darren. Tell Guernsey Girl I said hey
kinda figured it would be a mob scene. It's been great to see her across my "turf"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds