Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Steam & Excursion > Three more New Haven Pacifics

Date: 11/08/12 20:59
Three more New Haven Pacifics
Author: choochoocharlie

Three more photos taken by my Father Harry R. Lange in the late 1940s.

1 - NYNH&H 4-6-2 #1031 sitting at the Waterbury Connecticut station with a Southbound passenger train on December 6th, 1947. It is an I-1 class Pacific built by ALCo in 1910.
2 - New Haven 4-6-2 #1312 arriving at the Waterbury station with a Southbound train on May 15th, 1948. This one is a class I-2 class Pacific built by ALCo in 1913.
3 - NYNH&H fireman Bill McKinley in New Haven 4-6-2 #1327 on June 28th, 1948 probably at the Waterbury yard and roundhouse. This engine is also a class I-2 built by ALCo in 1913.

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do discovering them and "printing" them.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 11/08/12 21:43
Re: Three more New Haven Pacifics
Author: MRS11813

Nice locomotive.

Also notice the grab iron above the firemen's window, steps up to the running board and long stirrup under the window to reach the running board by going around on the outside of the cab.

Reminds me of the German 2-10-0's we ran while in the Army. Nice touch by the design engineer to aid in servicing the locomotive.

Date: 11/08/12 23:43
Author: LIL_BUDDY

Love your New Haven pics. Keep them coming, and thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Date: 11/09/12 05:40
Author: refarkas

Your father caught not only the locomotive, but the train and surroundings. Even the fence at the station was a part of the scene and not a distraction. Beautiful shots.
Bob

Date: 11/09/12 05:53
Author: ddg

I can see the tops of two Dietz Vesta hand lanterns ready to use when it gets dark.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/09/12 07:45
Author: steam290

Great pictures, especially the second. I can really see the inspiration for the Valley Railroad's 3025.

Date: 11/09/12 09:59
Author: pwh

Very nice Charlie, keep it up. One of my sons lives near Waterbury and he will enjoy these photos. How the area has changed. How about some more NYC along the Hudson? I enjoyed your father's in the Chelsea area I lived about eight miles north of there, south of Poughkeepsie, and remember the Hudsons, Niagaras, etc. racing along the Hudson River. Tjhanks again.

Date: 11/09/12 23:41
Author: choochoocharlie

Thanks for the comments as my Father would have loved them. In the first shot at the Waterbury station, there was a tunnel for passengers to go under the tracks to the other platforms. That's why that fence is there to safely block people from crossing directly over the tracks to the next passenger platform.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 11/14/12 12:43
Author: YG

Your father was a good photographer. I like the perspective in #2 and the overall clarity in all of them. I hope you have lots more like these!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds