Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Steam & Excursion > reflecting on the sp&s 700 holiday express...

Date: 12/01/12 07:07
reflecting on the sp&s 700 holiday express...
Author: 494

a literal reflection last year at oaks bottom park.

with the completion of the heritage center, will the northbound trips this season be taken all the way onto the property to show off the new facility? nothing would say holiday cheer like seeing santa himself flagging crossings for a couple of steam classics in southeast portland!

Date: 12/01/12 07:08
Re: reflecting on the sp&s 700 holiday express...

northbound ross island bridge...

Date: 12/01/12 07:11

there was a slightly disheartening comment yesterday about traveling to ride a "gimmicky" christmas train, and well it should be said that one man's gimmick is another man's family enjoying a day of traditional celebration.
it goes without saying that in terms of an event like the orhf holiday express or comparable operations that the steam is the soul, in that case the lights & decorations are the heart...see here how it beats.
...at track speed!

Date: 12/01/12 07:13

the photo used for the '11 family christmas card.
this is my first ever steam board post, so enjoy & happy holidays to the whole trainorders gang.

Date: 12/01/12 07:20
Author: OKTrainboys

So the 700 was your Christmas card....well, it's about time you got here!

Date: 12/01/12 08:02
Author: YG

Welcome to you, 494.

As to the "gimmicky" comment, some of our museums derive major revenue and support for their operations with Christmas trains, as well as the many other major holiday-themed events throughout the year. Without these events, there probably would be far fewer steam locomotives operating today.

These events, and lets not forget "Thomas", also introduces many future "people like us" to the beauty of steam and other railroad activities.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 12/01/12 08:42
Author: ClubCar

YG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome to you, 494.
>
> As to the "gimmicky" comment, some of our museums
> derive major revenue and support for their
> operations with Christmas trains, as well as the
> many other major holiday-themed events throughout
> the year. Without these events, there probably
> would be far fewer steam locomotives operating
> today.
>
> These events, and lets not forget "Thomas", also
> introduces many future "people like us" to the
> beauty of steam and other railroad activities.
>
> Steve Mitchell
> http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Well stated Steve. Here in the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area we don't have any Christmas trains any more. Neither CSX nor Norfolk Southern operate any special Christmas trains to either ride or even admire. And what the B&O R.R. Museum does is sad too. So the folks who get to see these trains and have the opportunity to ride them; be very thankful that you have them. We would gladly change places with you.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/01/12 10:03
Author: asheldrake

VERY nice post 494.....and thanks for supporting ORHF. Your picture between the cars will be appreciated especially by the carmen and the light folk who every year work very hard in getting the cars ready for the Holiday Express including putting the steam heat connections back on the Gordon Zimmerman, etc.
The posting about Thomas and runs like the HE are spot on. The focus is on those of us who still believe in Santa and those who will be soon replacing us; if this is a gimick, then so is life. There is just nothing like seeing the smiles on the 4 and 5 and 6 year olds and old folk as the steam whistle blows.
Arlen

Date: 12/01/12 17:09
Author: unseenthings

I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my gimmicky comment. I'm not criticizing anyone's hard work or the effort to provide an experience for families this time of year. I understand very well what goes into these trains, I worked polar express trains for TVRM. However one of the comments above does convey my feelings, Christmas trains just like Thomas trains, are a "gimmick"/"cash cow" for the museums. They cater to a targeted group of people, and make short trips. Nothing wrong with that, but if a person was to travel 2000 miles to ride a train, most likely they would want to longest ride possible.

Date: 12/01/12 19:27
Author: nycman

Just come on out, and we will recruit you as a volunteer. As such, car host, Santa helper, whatever, you can log some serious miles as the train runs every two hours. As someone else mentioned, it is wonderful to see the little children just in awe of a steam locomotive, and then to enjoy the trip on the train. I am personally hurting that I cannot be there this year to assist. Hope all the rest of my friends are enjoying volunteering for this very worthwhile effort.

Date: 12/01/12 20:03
Author: asheldrake

Sorry you not coming over Jim. 494: your photo off the Ross Island bridge of the HE backup
move is a very interesting picture. The Northwest Rail Museum roundend observation car makes
for an interesting conductor "platform" for backup moves, headlight, etc.

Date: 12/02/12 20:17
Author: RuleG

494 Wrote:
> the photo used for the '11 family christmas card.
>
> this is my first ever steam board post, so enjoy &
> happy holidays to the whole trainorders gang.

That's a very nice photo which makes for a great card.

Date: 12/03/12 06:46

thanks for the comments & salutations guys.
arlen, glad you can acknowledge the intent of the between car shot. at an older age i may not get excited about santa claus, but i really appreciate the effort that goes into making these events available to the community year after year.

Date: 12/03/12 23:43
Author: lwilton

While I've never had the opportunity to work on, near, or around a steam engine, I have spent a good part of my life working on theatrical productions, including Christmas productions and displays. A lot of that time was designing and hanging and programming lighting displays. When it comes to modern Christmas productions, at least in this country, if the lighting pleases and entertains the children, it isn't a gimick - it is a major part of the production.

Ideally it will please the adults too, even including the few old gruff farts (often decades younger than I am) that loudly or quietly say "Bah Humbug!" while either avidly watching the production or ostentatiously turning away. After all, sour old people need something to brighten their lives too, and if you can give them something to loudly dislike, you have made their day! What more could you ask than to be able to please everyone at once? ;-)

My only regret with the display on the 700 is that there is probably a Honda generator running the lighting, rather than a good old Briggs & Stratton American engine, to go with the American iron.

Date: 12/04/12 01:30
Author: Jim700

lwilton Wrote:
> My only regret with the display on the 700 is that
> there is probably a Honda generator running the
> lighting, rather than a good old Briggs & Stratton
> American engine, to go with the American iron.

Well then, Loren, you'll be pleased to know that the light strings on the SP&S 700 were plugged into the ex-SP&S "Mt. Hood" lounge/sleeping car trailing it rather than a Honda generator located on the engine.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0796 seconds