Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Steam & Excursion > A UK-USA historic locomotive swap

Date: 01/05/13 15:32
A UK-USA historic locomotive swap
Author: eminence_grise

"Railway Magazine" from the UK has a news item that says arrangements have been made for a year long swap of a classic US built
4-4-0 for a British 0-6-0 by the California State Railroad Museum.

Anyone have any further details?

Date: 01/05/13 15:41
Re: A UK-USA historic locomotive swap
Author: HotWater

Well they already "borrowed" the British locomotive from the Green Bay Wisc. Museum.

Date: 01/05/13 18:38
Author: eminence_grise

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well they already "borrowed" the British
> locomotive from the Green Bay Wisc. Museum.

Although the British magazines talk about "Dwight D.Eisenhower" and "Dominion of Canada" being repatriated to the UK, there is a contract to return them in three years. I understand that the "Dominion of Canada" is to be cosmetically restored to the as built LNER appearance of the 1930's while in the UK. The "Dominion of Canada" was a gift from the Westminster Government of the day, and a leading sugar company, Tate & Lyle to the people of Canada.

A curious fact showing preferences in preservation is that CN offered to donate one of the English Electric boxcab electrics used in Montreal built in the 1920's to the NRM in York and was declined. None were saved. Meanwhile, British built Beyer Garrats have been imported from South Africa.

Date: 01/06/13 15:57
Author: CPengineer

I heard it's Genoa that's going, from a very reliable source.

Date: 01/07/13 17:19
Author: john1082

CPengineer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard it's Genoa that's going, from a very
> reliable source.

I have an unrelated source that says the same thing. I'm looking at his business card and will be sending him a note tomorrow. We discussed Sacramento and what he and his party might like to do if they get a day off or two.

On an interesting note, one question is how to physically get the locomotive onto the property in York as there is a VERY NARROW underpass to negotiate in a very inconvenient place! Even with the stack (chimney) off it will still be a tight squeeze. It may well require a roundabout route to the museum.

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/13 17:21 by john1082.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds