Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > Remembering the SP Stirling City Branch

Date: 01/05/13 08:04
Remembering the SP Stirling City Branch
Author: KeyRouteKen

Photo 1. Stirling City, CA

Photo 2. Magalia, CA

Photo 3. The depot at Paradise, CA today !!

The Pac Coast Chptr--R&LHS ran an excursion to Paradise on June 10, 1951 using SP 2728.

Photos courtesy of KRK Archives.

Date: 01/05/13 08:06
Re: Remembering the SP Stirling City Branch
Author: KeyRouteKen

SP # 2312 at Paradise, CA. Date unknown.

KRK

Date: 01/05/13 08:17
Author: LoggerHogger

Hee is shot taken by Fred Stindt on the same 1951 excursion. This shows SP #2728 ready to leave Chico.

When the excursin reached Sterling City, they were met by a prade of logging engines of the Diamond Match Co. Shay #102 was fired up and pulled out Shay #105 and Willamette #104 to be photographed by the eager railfans.

Here we see #102 and #105 during the event. Note that #105 is being service and her lineshafts are not connected.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/13 08:29 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/05/13 08:22
Author: TonyJ

Thanks for sharing, Ken. My sister-in-law lives in Magalia (next to Paradise) so I see this depot each time I'm there.

Tony J.

Date: 01/05/13 10:05
Author: wjpyper

Pictures 1 and 2 were taken by Bernice Jackson, who was an employee of Southern Pacific, working in the San Francisco office. They are part of a collection of her railfan photos that belongs to the San Luis Obispo Railroad Museum. Here are three more shots from that fan trip. If you are interested in obtaining a cd of the entire collection, send me a PM.
Bill Pyper
for SLORRM

Date: 01/05/13 10:56
Author: Jeff_Johnston

We just spent a few days, over New Years, shooting some RV video material in Magalia and Paradise. After seeing many of the existing ROW remains and the grades and terrain in that area, it would have been some darn rugged common-carrier railroading, never mind what you found once on the logging branches. A beautiful part of the country.

Jeff Johnston
www.trainvideosandparts.com

Date: 01/06/13 02:45
Author: stmfrevr

Here's a Larry Harrison photo of SP 2728 in Roseville, CA in June of 1948.

Date: 01/06/13 15:10
Author: lwilton

Does Diamond Match still have any match plants in the US? I know the company itself was sucked up by some holding company, but their web page claims that they still make matches -- somewhere.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds