Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Steam & Excursion > NKP 587

Date: 05/31/14 21:51
NKP 587
Author: Ironman

Someone told me that this engine is now landlocked. Is this true? If so what are the plans for her future?

Thanks,

-Alan

Date: 05/31/14 23:28
Re: NKP 587
Author: rcall31060

Yes, it is true. For info on the 587, go here: http://itm.org/museum/restoration/nickel-plate-road-587/

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 05/31/14 23:43

I read the info about the mechanical work, thanks. I didn't see anything about future operation, being landlocked etc. Maybe I've overtired and just missed it

Date: 06/01/14 08:02
Author: CPRR

From the satellite view, you could build a spur to the museum from the tracks to the west.....

Date: 06/01/14 16:22
Author: filmteknik

How did this happen?

Date: 06/01/14 18:50
Author: junctiontower

When finished, #587 will be able to run on the Port Authority trackage from Tipton Indiana, to just south of the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis as it has done for many years. It IS landlocked from the rest of the national rail system at this time. Norfolk Southern removed the northern connection at Tipton because they feared that other railroads could use the Port Authority trackage to bypass NS rails and forward freight to CSX or other (at the time) Rail America lines, and because they probably didn't want to have to maintain the diamond, and the connector tracks are on the opposite side of the crossing. CSX removed the connection in Indianapolis because they too didn't want to maintain an expensive and almost never used diamond. Given CSX's anti steam posture, the only hope of an outside connection that would do #587 any good would seem to rest with NS restoring the Tipton connection in some form. If I were with the Indiana Transportation Museum, I would be doing my best to make that happen while NS is such a PRO steam mood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/14 04:41 by junctiontower.

Date: 06/01/14 20:22

Thanks for the info!

Date: 06/02/14 00:57
Author: 1976

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the satellite view, you could build a spur to
> the museum from the tracks to the west.....

There IS a connection to the tracks to the West. Those tracks, however, don't connect to anything at either end.

Date: 06/02/14 09:38
Author: EDog535

The chance on ever seeing NKP 587 out on a Main Line again is slim to none, even with the pro steam stance of the NS. I doubt that the ITM has made and nurtured the political and professional connections with NS like TVRM or FWRHS. Additionally, Hoosier Heritage Port Authority obviously has no interest in making a connection to the national rail network. Don't hold your breath.

Date: 06/02/14 15:22

So how many miles is line she has access to? Is there enough rolling stock and a nice enough ride to make her restoration worth it?

Date: 06/02/14 19:37

According to Mapquest, there is about 40 miles of trackage total. I think most trains that go north of Noblesville only go as far as Atlanta IN. The ITM has a NICE fleet of former Santa Fe stainless passenger cars, and they have enough vintage rolling stock to make a decent photo freight. The Fair Trains alone would be good enough reason to justify rebuilding 587 in my opinion, and the ITM can and does put on a nice variety of other trips on the line. But ultimately, it will be a crime if she never gets to leave her home and see the world again. It's a complex issue, but I am nowhere near as pessimistic as the previous poster. I had more than one person tell me in the early 2000's that #765 would never leave Casad again, let alone pull a mainline excursion....

Date: 06/02/14 19:55
Author: filmteknik

How far for a highway move?

Date: 06/03/14 04:17
Author: EDog535

junctiontower, Not being pessimistic just being truthful and realistic. The ITM operates trains on the HHPA owned track from 38th St. in Indianapolis to State Road 28 in Tipton IN.

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to Mapquest, there is about 40 miles of
> trackage total. I think most trains that go north
> of Noblesville only go as far as Atlanta IN. The
> ITM has a NICE fleet of former Santa Fe stainless
> passenger cars, and they have enough vintage
> rolling stock to make a decent photo freight. The
> Fair Trains alone would be good enough reason to
> justify rebuilding 587 in my opinion, and the ITM
> can and does put on a nice variety of other trips
> on the line. But ultimately, it will be a crime if
> she never gets to leave her home and see the world
> again. It's a complex issue, but I am nowhere
> near as pessimistic as the previous poster. I had
> more than one person tell me in the early 2000's
> that #765 would never leave Casad again, let alone
> pull a mainline excursion....

Date: 06/03/14 10:04

Well, ties to Norfolk Southern existed in the past, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to re-establish them, especially as long as Wick is at the helm. It's also quite possible that CSX's position could moderate at some point in the future. You would have to look hard to find a railroad management so thoroughly opposed to even TOWING a steam engine to the nearest off-line connection, so perhaps at some point they too will run out of people with that way of thinking and the situation will improve. There also is the possibility that if the HHPA ends up getting used for some type of mass transit, the ITM might have to look for a new home anyway, and that one would surely provide conections to the outside world. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I don't see #587 being landlocked forever.

Date: 06/03/14 18:51
Author: wabash2800

And also if Mass Transit comes, they may want to ship in cars and locomotives in by rail rather than flatbed. But who knows.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds