Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Steam & Excursion > Audio Portrait - Sierra Railroad #2

Date: 03/09/16 12:03
Audio Portrait - Sierra Railroad #2
Author: Earlk

In September, 1979 the Sierra bravely launched 90-ton 3 truck Shay #2 into service.  #2 is a former Feather River Ry. engine that the State of CA bought some years before and leased to the Sierra RR.  It sat for quite a while in Jamestown before it was decided to put it into service.  When I first saw it stripped down in the Jimtown roundhouse a few months earlier, I was unimpressed.  The Sierra was a "rod show" not a geared one.  It was an outsider, it didn't belong there.  I had never seen a large Shay in action only small stuff like the former West Side Lumber engines that had been wandering around.  The exact date in in an unknown file somewhere, but I'm thinking September 8, 1979 was the day I headed for Jamestown to see show, and there was Big #2, shiny in new paint in the house getting steamed up. 

Lets see what this thing is all about.

The first runby is on the hill just leaving Jamestown.  We were expecting a sedate shuffle up the hill.  Al Shelton widened out on #2 and ripped into that big Crosby 3-chime and the hair stood up on the back of my neck.  I had never heard anything like it before.  We followed #2 up to Fassler and back to Jimtown that day.  We were all very impressed.  Shay #2 had passed her audition. It was nice birthday present.

Clip 1
1.  Sierra #2 roars up the hill out of Jamestown.
2. A few miles further, at Lime Spur.

Clip 2
3. Hess Road crossing just west of Fassler.  At this point Al was letting retired Pickering engineer Ray Maddox run #2.  With the throttle into the tank and hooked up to within a couple of notches of center, #2 has everyone's attention.  Ya gotta love an engine that can drown out it's own whistle....
4. Homeward bound drifting down the hill at Tuolumne Road.  Through the years, Al and I have become good friends, and I am sure he would be somewhat embarrassed to to hear me say this is one of the best whistle performances I have ever recorded.  Over the years I have copped many of Al's "whistle licks".  Truly an inspiration for this 21 year old kid in 1979

Earl Knoob

Audio Portrait - Sierra Railroad #28 (video 13.76MB)
Audio Portrait - Texas & Pacific #316 "Doubleheader" (video 7.42MB)
Audio Portrait - Sierra Railroad #34 (video 17.54MB)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/16 19:44 by Earlk.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/09/16 19:39
Re: Audio Portrait - Sierra Railroad #2
Author: SierraRail

Sierra Railroad Shay #2, climbing the 3% grade above Jamestown (Milepost 42), on it's very first operation out of Jamestown, September 8, 1979.

Date: 03/09/16 19:44

I found my notes..... You're correct Brian, Sept 8, 1979.

Date: 03/09/16 21:40
Author: baldwin1922

What I would like to know is where that Crosby 3-chime is now. The 2 has a southern 3-chime which sounds great on it now but that Crosby definitely makes the hair stand up even just listening to the recording.

Jason

Date: 03/10/16 10:01

The whistle was privately owned by one of the guys who used to hang out around there (name withheld).  I understand it came from a Pickering engine (#8?).  It was a basic stock model Crosby long bell 3-chime.  I lucked into one sometime back.  Traded a Pennsy banshee for it.  I think I got the best end of the deal.  Mine is a dead perfect match to the beauty carried on #2.

Date: 03/10/16 11:08

Here's my Crosby on Cass Heisler #6 last spring.  Yours truly at the throttle.   Video by E.Lueck.

Long bell Crosby's Rule.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/16 13:30 by Earlk.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/12/16 09:59
Author: sixbit

Nice audio of the "new" #2. The Sierra was of course not a pure "rod show" back when it was the Sierra Railway. They ran two-truck Heislers, Shays and a Climax. Also three-truck Shay (#12). What I found interesting is that back in the late 'teens they used geared locos on the mainline runs. Some of the old wheel reports show engine #12 dragging freight on the Jamestown to Tuolumne run.

John

Date: 03/12/16 10:16
Author: Txhighballer

Nothing like a good "quill". Some might argue that, but I like listening to a good one, or doing them myself. Nice Earl!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds